baby turkey with neck issue

genna_w

Hatching
Jun 8, 2023
Hi, I was following BYC for a while. It's my first post here.
We hatched a few baby chicks and baby turkeys. One of the baby turkeys (the blue-gray one in the attached pictures) does not extend the neck. It eats and drinks fine. When I examined the baby turkey's neck, it felt like the bones are fused creating s-shaped neck. Did anyone see similar condition in their chicks? Is it due to possible injury or a genetic condition?
20230603_111128.jpg
20230603_111243.jpg

It looks stunted compared to the rest. Is it smaller? It could be some sort of birth defect.

What are you feeding them? Sometimes poults do that when they are unwell or cold.

Hi, I was following BYC for a while. It's my first post here.
We hatched a few baby chicks and baby turkeys. One of the baby turkeys (the blue-gray one in the attached pictures) does not extend the neck. It eats and drinks fine. When I examined the baby turkey's neck, it felt like the bones are fused creating s-shaped neck. Did anyone see similar condition in their chicks? Is it due to possible injury or a genetic condition?
View attachment 3533973View attachment 3533974
Add vitamin B complex by dissolving 1/2 tablet in one gallon of water. Make it their only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

Be sure you are feeding the poults a quality high protein turkey or game bird starter.

It looks stunted compared to the rest. Is it smaller? It could be some sort of birth defect.

What are you feeding them? Sometimes poults do that when they are unwell or cold.
Pullets and baby chicks hatches at different time. It's possible turkey hen that laid the egg gray pullet hatched from was the Midget White (we have different breads free ranging on our property). The brooder has a heat lamp in one area with temperature around 90-100F. The chicks and pullets eat medicated starter food. They have access to water with electrolyte and probiotic.

Add vitamin B complex by dissolving 1/2 tablet in one gallon of water. Make it their only source of water. It should be made fresh daily.

Be sure you are feeding the poults a quality high protein turkey or game bird starter.
OK. I will make a solution of Vitamin B complex for them to drink. How long should I give it to them for?

Pullets and baby chicks hatches at different time. It's possible turkey hen that laid the egg gray pullet hatched from was the Midget White (we have different breads free ranging on our property). The brooder has a heat lamp in one area with temperature around 90-100F. The chicks and pullets eat medicated starter food. They have access to water with electrolyte and probiotic.
Pullets are chickens. Poults are baby turkeys. None of them need to be over 90⁰F measured at the bedding level.

Hope you aren't feeding the turkeys chick starter. Chick starter doesn't have the levels of protein, lysine, methionine or niacin.

Medicated chick starter has amprolium which is a thiamine blocker. Poults need thiamine for their proper development and growth.

Back
Top Bottom