Baby turkey with swollen "knee"... can't walk.

I hate to revive an old thread from '09, but this proves I searched before I posted... Have a turkey, 1 of 13 in a 4'X4' brooder box, 7 weeks old. All are healthy and acting normally, but.... This one is hurt about 24 hours ago. Nice bruise and one swollen knee. Will not walk. I have it isolated with it's own food and water ATM. How can I help her survive? I am scheduled to move all 13 outside in about a week, but want to keep all 13 alive if I can. Thank you, NICK
Welcome to BYC! Can you make a sling for it?

I have a week old turkey chick… same issue… swollen knee, can’t and won’t put pressure on it… he/she was fine when I brought it home… now knee is swollen and won’t put pressure on it to walk. Fear there might be too many chicks in the brooder. Maybe trampled. Tried to realign the Achilles and brace it… fingers crossed!

I have a week old turkey chick… same issue… swollen knee, can’t and won’t put pressure on it… he/she was fine when I brought it home… now knee is swollen and won’t put pressure on it to walk. Fear there might be too many chicks in the brooder. Maybe trampled. Tried to realign the Achilles and brace it… fingers crossed!
Turkey poults especially broad breasted ones that do not get the high protein turkey or game bird starter feed that they need are prone to perosis or slipped tendon.

You can try giving it vitamin B complex made at the rate of 1/2 capsule or tablet dissolved in one gallon of water. It needs to be the sole source of water and is good for all that are in the brooder. It should be made fresh daily.

I provided game bird starter… lots of fresh water…bandaged the “knee” several times. He/she keeps pecking the support off.

I hate to revive an old thread from '09, but this proves I searched before I posted...

Have a turkey, 1 of 13 in a 4'X4' brooder box, 7 weeks old.

All are healthy and acting normally, but....

This one is hurt about 24 hours ago. Nice bruise and one swollen knee. Will not walk. I have it isolated with it's own food and water ATM. How can I help her survive?

I am scheduled to move all 13 outside in about a week, but want to keep all 13 alive if I can.

Thank you,

NICK
Hello, my 12 week turkey is having the same issue. What did you do? It was all of a sudden.

Back
Top Bottom