baby turkey wont stop peeping!

mkglsam

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
Sedgwick, ME
I got three baby turkeys this morning, this is my first time doing turkeys (I have only done chickens) and one seems to have a terrible case of separation anxiety, every time I leave the room it peeps and peeps (loudly) and wont stop! if i come back in it resumes its eating and sleeping like normal, even when I am in the line of sight but too far away for it to either see or be comfortable with (maybe smell? not sure which) it gets going again and walking back and forth on "patrol" looking for me. I have tried a radio and hanging a stuffed animal on the side of the play pen they are in but neither thing worked. Any one have a similar experience? Any suggestions on how to make this stop?

It has imprinted on you. After a bit you'll only hear it if it doesn't sound `normal'. They usually adjust a bit over time (will keep one another company) but, other than carrying it around in a pocket, feeding it bugs every half-hour or so, there's really nothing for surrogate, human, `turkey hens' except ear plugs and sleeping poults.

you have to put on tv or a laptop alot of talking like a lecture something long and point a space heater on low not to close but not to far:) mine falls right to sleep.

I too am doing turkeys for the first time. I hatched four and one had spraddle leg so we had to handle him a lot at first to put a bandage on. Anyways the turkeys are in the living room and when we shut everything off to go to bed he would start peeping very loudly. I would come out and he would stop we played that game for a while until I finally gave up and turned the tv on and slept on the couch.

I have 12 of them, 9 weeks old. "Peep" became my baby for just that reason. I haven't slept past 6 am since April 20th (the day we got them) She still peeps like that on occasion but from my experience, you'll be hearing that for a good long while! Peep, peeped incessantly for the first 5-6 weeks non stop. Good luck. They really are a lot of fun once you learn not to hear PEEP PEEP PEEP any more!!
Here she is sleeping on my pillow a few weeks ago. *notice the barricade of towels??She's far too big for that now!

Back
Top Bottom