Baby Turkeys...

I second what everyone else has said. Check around and see if anyone in your area has had blackhead. My turkeys and chickens are hatched, brooded, and live together in perfect harmony with no illnesses whatsoever to date.

We've had chickens for a long time. When I first got turkeys, I was also worried because of all of the literature about blackhead. It sounds like if your turkey sees a chicken it will die. One of my turkeys was sick this year, and after it got better, I tried to reintroduce it to the flock. They beat up on it so bad that I let it go in the barnyard to test if we have blackhead here. So far, the turkey has seen about 50 chickens and it is still alive. It lives, eats, and runs around with chickens all day long. Like many others have said, if you don't have blackhead on your farm, your turkey can't get it. Just keep an eye out for any diseases.

But keep the turkeys in a brooder or someplace seperate for six weeks to develop their imune system. There are other diseases out there as well.

Good Luck!

I had my little ones out in the grass the other day (they are now 4 weeks old) where my chickens have roamed, if my chickens had blackhead would the chicks have gotten it by now....or at least show signs?

Back
Top Bottom