Baby with crooked neck-PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Number1Sticky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 18, 2010
He/she was just born on Saturday, but she was born with a crooked neck, from pictures I've seen it looks like wry neck. I was hoping it would get better, but it seems to be getting worse. Can anyone please help me out!!! I don't want anything happening to my new baby. I’m thinking it may be a vitamin deficiency, but I’m not sure which one. So what should I give her to help her and how do I give it to her. Right now she is being raised by her mother and momma is VERY protective.

Thank you for any help!!!

Try niacin in her water, 100 to 150 mg per gallon, for 10 weeks.

Or

Sprinkle brewer's yeast on her food, a few teaspoons per small bowl, for 10 weeks

And

Make sure she gets the opportunity to eat bugs, slugs and worms

Crush up a little dry cat kibble and add that to her food

Once a week or two, give poultry multivitamins, preferably with electrolytes and probiotics.

She may or may not recover. Hope Amiga's advice helps. Thats about all you can do. If she's eating and drinking she should make it. I have a pheasant that was born the same way and he never recovered. He is now a year old and doesn't know he's not normal. Hope you will keep us posted on her progress. Good Luck

I had a Muscovy with the same thing. The advice above is what I was given. It never "cured" him per se, but he did live. He ran around with the other ducks and ate and drank very well. He just walked with his head on near the ground. And, if your duckling doesn't magically get better, I wouldn't let him near water too much. They instinctively go to water and my duck with wry neck couldn't keep his head out of the water. At least four separate times I was wading out into the pond to save the poor duck from drowning.

I will post up a pic of my crooked necked duck Daisy. She has a very visible neck deformity which has caused her chest to look deformed and stick out further on one side. Although she walks funny and swims funny everything else is pretty normal. She is a bit smaller than the others but she is the only one who has successfully hatched babies and brooded nicely
jumpy.gif

Hopefully as the babies neck/back muscles strengthen their body will compensate and hopefully be 100%

If you can't provide the daily niacin for some reason, then I'd go for the bird vitamins in the water daily. Adding B vitamins (like the niacin in the yeast or in a soluable mixture) really can make a huge difference to neck 9and leg) problems. All of the ducks can have the vitamins. Keep giving them till the problem is gone. You may need to start giving them again if the problem starts to re-appear.

Good luck with your little one and let us know how s/he goes! I hope that s/he improves.

I just wanted to give everyone an update and Skyler (decided on a unisex name :)). He/she is doing GREAT. Her neck is almost completely better. She is getting HUGE now. Right now she's in my bedroom, I just wanted to make sure she was getting the Vitamins, but I'm hoping to put her back with mommy and daddy today. She is almost big enough to jump out of her cage. I’m going to continue to give her the niacin and brewer’s yeast for a while longer just to be on the safe side. But I just wanted to thank everyone so much for your help. I will try to post pictures later of her taken this morning. :)

I just wanted to give everyone an update and Skyler (decided on a unisex name :)). He/she is doing GREAT. Her neck is almost completely better. She is getting HUGE now. Right now she's in my bedroom, I just wanted to make sure she was getting the Vitamins, but I'm hoping to put her back with mommy and daddy today. She is almost big enough to jump out of her cage. I’m going to continue to give her the niacin and brewer’s yeast for a while longer just to be on the safe side. But I just wanted to thank everyone so much for your help. I will try to post pictures later of her taken this morning. :)

Wow! That's great news!

wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom