Baby wood duck won't eat

3 years ago we got a days old wood duckling our enighbor found in her yard. She would eat much at all, just kind of stood in the corner of a box with a heat lamp over it. Then we put her in with 6 days old buff orphington chickens and she perked right up and joined up with them (we gave them non-mediated starter). When they got older she would perch next to the chickens at night. The chickens got much bigger than her but they'd still follow her around the yard.

Quote:
That is exactly how this one is doing. I went by a friends and picked up 2 three day old muscovy ducklings and put with him. They are twice his size, but we'll see if it works.

If he's pecking and drinking then he should be good to go.
big_smile.png

When I get woodies in to the rehab centre, I first feed them on white margarine/sour cream lids. They are shallow enough for them to reach in and get the food and the contrast in colour between the lid and the food piques their curiousity. A couple of live wiggly mealworms and a sprinkle of duck starter usually gets them going. The duck starter for wild waterfowl we recommend is Mazuri. This type of starter floats on water so is great for dabblers. It is a bit big I feel for the woodies to begin with so I always whirl it in the blender to break it up. The key with woodies is to disturb them as little as possible . Give them a feather duster taped to the side of their brooder for them to hide under. A baby mallard the same size is always a welcome admission as they demonstrate very effectively what the woodies should do with the food. Chop up green grass very finely as well...just make sure no herbicide has been applied. Good Luck.

I was able to get a couple of wood duck chicks to eat by placing them in our bathtub with luke warm water and feeding them river shrimp that I use with my turtles. The shrmip floot and they went right for it. I also purchased a custom made duck chick mash from a local pet shop. They love it This was the first time I had tried this and it worked. Maybe it will work for others. I lost a chick a couple of years ago because it would not eat. I think it makes sense that they have another chick to mimick. Once they start feeding your over the hump. Good luck.

I was able to get a couple of wood duck chicks to eat by placing them in our bathtub with luke warm water and feeding them river shrimp that I use with my turtles. The shrmip floot and they went right for it. I also purchased a custom made duck chick mash from a local pet shop. They love it This was the first time I had tried this and it worked. Maybe it will work for others. I lost a chick a couple of years ago because it would not eat. I think it makes sense that they have another chick to mimick. Once they start feeding your over the hump. Good luck.
*looks at the date of last post*

Oh crap! I wonder if that duck is still alive. I screwed up on the date. Thank you for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom