Baby's Batch!

I've never incubated my own eggs before just because we generally eat them before I'd get the chance. However, last weekend I put 15 into an incubator (my Janoel).

These eggs are from my older quail and the male actually only lives permanently with one of the females as he's a bit too aggressive to the other three for my liking. However I will allow him into their cage occasionally for some lovemaking.

I didn't really expect any eggs to be fertile because his lovemaking talents are pretty subpar compared to other males I've had but turns out he must be doing something right! Out of the 15 eggs, 9 were fertile! Honestly surprised me greatly as he'd only been with the other three girls once that week. Three of the eggs were 7 or 8 days old so I didn't really think they would be particularly fertile either.

I have read before that females can stay fertilised for multiple lays after one mating and can even stay fertilised for a long time or until their next lay. Not entirely sure how much truth was in this study as I couldn't find many resources about this but there must be some truth to it.

I had to move these eggs out of the Janoel12 and into my Borotto as I was due to incubate some eggs for a paying client. All 9 are still alive as of Thursday, I will check them again today as I worry after swapping them from one incubator to another.

Back
Top Bottom