Baby's Batch!

20220312_232346.jpg

Baby Arthur is doing fantastic, such a great sleeper already and eating as much as his daddy does!! Can't believe he's already 4 days old.

Egg-wise, did some candling last night.
Janoel12: ALL 20 eggs fertile and growing well
Borotto: 10 eggs were infertile, 6 eggs had small cracks from transport that I just hadn't seen before.

So 68 eggs are still going strong. Not bad!

View attachment 3023326
Baby Arthur is doing fantastic, such a great sleeper already and eating as much as his daddy does!! Can't believe he's already 4 days old.

Egg-wise, did some candling last night.
Janoel12: ALL 20 eggs fertile and growing well
Borotto: 10 eggs were infertile, 6 eggs had small cracks from transport that I just hadn't seen before.

So 68 eggs are still going strong. Not bad!
He is gorgeous! 😍 were the cracks bad? I know some ppl put wax on them, I’ve never done that before, but apparently it works 🤷‍♀️ I have 14 eggs that have gone into lockdown today, All still going strong :jumpy

He is gorgeous! 😍 were the cracks bad? I know some ppl put wax on them, I’ve never done that before, but apparently it works 🤷‍♀️ I have 14 eggs that have gone into lockdown today, All still going strong :jumpy
Did they all hatch!?

Cracks weren't awful but they were big enough that I didn't really want to try them

20220319_081918.jpg

Arthur is doing fantastic, starting to want to be awake a bit more now and I hope starting to put some weight on. He dropped down to 6lb (2600g)! Took me an hour to get him to sleep last night, he just kept giggling to himself :lau

20220318_214104.jpg

Two eggs had died during incubation so they were removed, leaves us with around 66 eggs going into lockdown. We'll see how they perform.

In other news, my chicks that hatched around 3-4 weeks ago all died within two days of each other. I believe their heat source turned off overnight (possibly due to power cut as we've had a few) and 7/9 were dead when we woke up. The next day the last two died after seeming to be fine, I assume the damage had been done and they couldn't survive it.

View attachment 3030722
Arthur is doing fantastic, starting to want to be awake a bit more now and I hope starting to put some weight on. He dropped down to 6lb (2600g)! Took me an hour to get him to sleep last night, he just kept giggling to himself :lau

View attachment 3030723

Two eggs had died during incubation so they were removed, leaves us with around 66 eggs going into lockdown. We'll see how they perform.

In other news, my chicks that hatched around 3-4 weeks ago all died within two days of each other. I believe their heat source turned off overnight (possibly due to power cut as we've had a few) and 7/9 were dead when we woke up. The next day the last two died after seeming to be fine, I assume the damage had been done and they couldn't survive it.
Oh look at that little face 😍 he’s going to be a little heartbreaker! He sounds like a little dream :love

Oh that’s rotten that luck losing them all, hopefully it was down to the power cut, but it sounds a bit odd the last 2 died, might be best to keep an eye on that heat source in case it is faulty.

I had 9 hatch out of 14, they are doing really well 🤞 I’ve got another 6 eggs going in on Thursday..this hatching is addictive 🤦‍♀️ 😂

How are your remaining 66?

Oh look at that little face 😍 he’s going to be a little heartbreaker! He sounds like a little dream :love

Oh that’s rotten that luck losing them all, hopefully it was down to the power cut, but it sounds a bit odd the last 2 died, might be best to keep an eye on that heat source in case it is faulty.

I had 9 hatch out of 14, they are doing really well 🤞 I’ve got another 6 eggs going in on Thursday..this hatching is addictive 🤦‍♀️ 😂

How are your remaining 66?
Thank you, I'm so obsessed with him 😂😍

Yeah I'm still not convinced it was a power cut, it's a bit odd. The heat mat has been doing amazing but before I always put it on the floor under a puppy pad, after talking with someone they told me to put it above the chicks so it's like a brooder plate. Two or three days later they died.. I should've stuck with what had worked for me for so long I think..

Oh awesome! I bet they're so cute!! You're right, it's way too addictive 😂 I put another 15 in my Chinese incubator when I put these in lockdown 😜

Should start hatching tonight (I locked down because needed to), so will keep post updated!

Yes I would definitely stick to what has worked for you before, it’s so exciting isn’t it :weeGood Luck
And yes, please do keep me posted! I’ll try and get some pics of mine later and post them.

We ended up with 43 out of the 66 hatching, and I think possibly more could've hatched if I'd been able to leave the incubator running an extra day or two but I have others that need to move into that incubator so unfortunately had no other choice available. I realise I tried locking down a few days early (but I forgot to raise humidity) so ended up locking down Monday like I should've anyway.

Chicks seem to be doing fantastic, this will be first batch that are on my new fermented feed I'm trying and so far they love it.

8 quail have shown signs of splayed legs so they're in designated cups for therapy, I have had 100% success with this method so far. I believe the shelf liner I used this time was just insufficient, though it could be the incubator as I've never used the Borotto before. 4 have healed fully and 2 will be out of the cups soon as they seem to be doing well too. Only one had curled toes which I've already resolved.

Going back to my old heating setup seems to have worked wonders they're much happier than when I tried to copy the designs from here.

Arthur is doing fantastic, piling on the weight and guzzling milk down like it's going to run out, my poor Mrs!! 😂 His jaundice has cleared up and although he's feeding more often now he seems very happy.

This has been a pleasant success so far. Especially since Arthur came so early and I was so tired during this incubation I was struggling to even read my quail calenders. I was back to work this week unfortunately so that's why my post has been late.

Back
Top Bottom