Babysitting bantam chicks! I have questions?!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DollBoll, Jul 16, 2019.

1. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Hi everyone,

My uncle and aunt were gifted hatching eggs and they’ve started to pip! They’re going away next week and have asked me to chick sit so here are my questions:

Feeding situation, do I need to keep food available at all times?

Heat source, I think they have a lamp so do I keep it on 24/7 or do I turn it off at night?

Should I be keeping an eye out for any common problems that occur in chicks?
    If so what and how will I prevent or treat them?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions once I get them but any advice and information will really help!
    Thanks in advance :)

2. 16Chickens Keeper

16Chickens Keeper Chirping

Dec 6, 2018
    Clive, Iowa
    1 ( feedin) chicks can need to be moved oncebthey fully dry, they will have by now absorbed whatevers left of the yolk and be ok for a day or 2.

2 ( heat) Set up a brooder if you uavent alreadt, all it is is a contaner with bedding both food water and a heat lamp overhead.
    Keep it on 24/7

3 they should be fine the only thing I can think of is pasty but exept doesnt happen till there a bit older, but if they do use a warm damp cloth/towel and clean its vent gently

DollBoll and Mybackyardpeepers like this.
  3. Its pretty easy to kill baby chicks and it sounds like you are pretty inexperienced.
    They need a brooder set up with the heat lamp. It needs to be around 95 degrees. The hicks will let you know if the temp is to cold or hot by there behavior. If they huddle pileing up under the lamp its to cold. If they escape to the edges of the box its to hot. What are you using for a brooder box? The heat lamp must be on at all times.
    Chick starter, they need it avaliable at all times. Fresh water needs to be in a chick waterer so they do not drown.
    The first few days line the brooder floor with paper towel. Later you can use pine shavings.
    Come back with pictures and more questions when you have problems.
    Im sure you will do fine.
    Good luck!

DollBoll likes this.
  4. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Yes food, clean water and correct heat should be available 24/7 with chicks.

The correct heat ideally means that there is an area in their brooder where the temperature is 90-95 degrees and then other areas that are much cooler. This will allow them to get nearer or further away from the heat as they need, the way a chick would snuggle under its mother part of the time to warm up before heading out again to eat and scratch around etc.

Remember: chicks that are too hot will lie around panting and lazy. Chicks that are too cold will bunch together and cheep unhappily.

The most common problems besides issues with temperature are pasty butt and coccidiosis, so:
    - Check all the chick's vents every day to make sure they are not getting messy and crusted over with poop.
    - Also check poop in the brooder for signs of blood. Red poop is usually blood and blood is almost always cocci in chicks.

5. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Thank you this helps a lot!

6. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Ah thank you! They’re not mine and I won’t get them until Friday I will make sure the temp is high enough I have a temp gun and I’m sure they have a light if not I have spares and I will make sure to make any necessary changes because they are as inexperienced as I am! Thanks a lot :)

7. DollBoll

DollBoll Chirping

Jul 8, 2019
    Very helpful thank you so much:))

Keeperofmunchkins likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: