Bachelor flock

Jan 20, 2024
Me and my partner are starting a rooster flock with 8 roosters. We think that there wont be much fighting (except for pecking order) because there will be no hens there. But what do you think? Is it a good idea to have 8 roosters together?

I have no direct experience, but I've heard that is true from a YouTuber with a bachelor flock and an egg layer flock. Take that for what it is worth.

I haven't seen the bachelor flock, but here is his egg layer YT channel that runs 24hrs/day.

https://www.youtube.com/@ChickenCity

I don't know if having the bachelors being able to see the females will make a difference.

It will ultimately depend on the roosters and how well they get along. If they grew up together then there's a higher chance of them doing well together. But like I said, you really just have to see if it works.

I’ve had a bachelor flock for years. They get along quite well MOST of the time. They’ve been raised together, but they also bully each other at times. Have a dog kennel available for use as a chicken jail to temporarily separate any bullies. Also, provide multiple hiding spots and food and water stations.

Back
Top Bottom