Bachelor pen ? for those with flocks

Discussion in 'Geese' started by mominoz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Has anyone had to set up a bachelor pen? I have 3 young male geese and some extra male drakes (ducks) and with everyone thinking it is early spring, I am wondering if it would help to put the extra boys away from the sight of girls ,hopefully to slow any fighting over the girls idea. I have already set up the breeding groups and need to do something with the extra bachleors, ( I want to keep them because of their rareity and may need their breeding lines). How has it worked?

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I don't have a bachelor pen, but the rooster rescue I get my roos from does. She has them all together and away from the hens. She lets her rooster boys free range at different times from the girls and to the best of my knowledge she doesn't have any problems. She has chickens, ducks and geese all in the same bachelor pen.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I plan on having a bachelor pad for all the extra roosters I have, don't know why it wouldn't work for geese as well. : )

~ Aspen

4. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I have all my drakes in a pad of their own, and it has made my life so much easier. They had to fight it out a little bit at first to see who was king drake, and now they all hang out together. Oh, they would probably prefer to be with the girls, but they're doing fine in their own little flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by