Back after a few years

elderberryjam

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
eastern Ohio
The first time I got onto this group, I was looking for someone to hatch me some eggs. I found the most awesome person away over in Charleroi, PA. We're in eastern Ohio. She even threw in some unusual breed chicks for fun. I've been into chickens over my head in the past. I've been away from here for some time now.

We left our chickens at the family farm when we moved almost 6 years ago. My brother and his wife and 7 adulting kids were happy to take them on. There was a mixture of both bought purebreds, and hatched mutts. I was not crazy about having them again. We sold around 25 goats, and brought the sheep along. We still have the sheep.

But alas, our 11 y/o got her heart stuck on getting peeps. My DH never wanted to part with the chickens to begin with. I told him, he had to build a good chicken house first. 6 years, and it still isn't up. Everyone thinks we're going to use the shed my mother gave me for my birthday (except for me). Anyway, we looked at breeds. I wanted Aracaunas, or some fancy breed, or banties with little eggs. But she latched onto the Jersey Black Giants at Rural King. I talked her into going home and ordering them from Ridgeway or McMurray, with the devious idea of talking her into something ELSE, only to find that this year's Aracaunas are depleted, and also that the online chicks are more expensive. We went back to rural king, stopped by my brother's place to pick up my old cage with the pull-out tray, dug the heating pad and lamp out of the broom closet, and made a place in the kitchen. One of the 6 has died already, so we have 5.

My nephews made some deer blinds they never sold. They were asking $250 for them. I have a proven Romney ram I wanted at least $250 for. I need to retire him from my herd. I happened to know they needed a new ram. The deer blinds just need the windows covered, and some nesting boxes. I picked up a roll of chicken wire for 20 bucks. Now I'm trying to acclimate myself to the idea that we're going to have very large chickens, and in about a year, they might start to lay. I might get a straight run of 5 or so more for a roo (unless someone near eastern Ohio has a Jersey Giant to spare).

G’Day from down under elderberryjam :frow Welcome Back!

Chick Sympathy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom