Back after a few years.

argosnikki

Chirping
May 8, 2021
I haven't been around for a few years and had to create a new account. After 15 years of raising different breeds, I landed on RIRs! I just like their temperament, consistent laying and personalities. We currently have 18 birds. Seven are older so we raised a dozen from a pullet order in the last few months but five ended up being roosters. We had to put one down after a leg injury that the vet said wasn't correctable and very painful so now we have four roosters. We have a lot of predators so house our birds in a series of seven roofed welded wire enclosures which we can turn into greenhouses by rotating the birds out and wrapping the enclosures in greenhouse plastic. They are an integral part of our family and property improvement which includes a worm farm and organic gardening. I can't imagine not having birds at this point. Glad to be back!

RIR are the best IMHO. Grew up with em and as soon as the ISA my mom dumped on the farm die off I'm hoping to go back. I was out of the game for almost 20 years until mom beer bug panicked and got these things. They are good birds but I want something that broods naturally. The sexlinks kinda have that bred out of them.

RIR are the best IMHO. Grew up with em and as soon as the ISA my mom dumped on the farm die off I'm hoping to go back. I was out of the game for almost 20 years until mom beer bug panicked and got these things. They are good birds but I want something that broods naturally. The sexlinks kinda have that bred out of them.
Oh, okay, yeah none of our sexlinks or any of our other breeds actually have ever gone broody

Oh, okay, yeah none of our sexlinks or any of our other breeds actually have ever gone broody
I've had one in her first year. Think she trying again (2nd year). She still has a band on her leg and she one of 3 out of our flock of 12 with a name (momma).

Mom didn't research before she got "hers" to dump off on me. She just read the sign that said good layers of large eggs. Contradicting myself as I just bought 2 large cabinet incubators but I'd rather have mother nature take care of rearing. Works for all my other livestock. Only reason why I bought the incubators is because I got a crazy stupid price for them and had one sold for more than I gave for both before I even loaded them in the truck.

Hi! Welcome home! Good to hear of your long term big picture with worms, organic gardening, greenhouses and chickens! You got it going on!!! I'd like to see some photos and know your location if you can. I am possitive you have some good info to share with us all.
I am not a RR fan... well, not that I am against, we had when I was little and all. I just thought them to be a little loud and a little bossy... :oops: ??? Plus I have been sold on Brahma's for awhile now. I did have a few R sexlinks pass through last week and was in awe of their prolific egg laying. Did not miss a beat with the travel, it was amazing.
K. then, again, welcome back home. Good to see you!

Back
Top Bottom