Back after a few years.

Thank you! We are in New England. It sounds like a stereotype or bias for that particular bird but we do need a little bossy and cold hardy. What I don't like is aggressive or passive. Production Reds have full on attacked me by flying over four feet up and pecking my chest and Polish have dropped dead when a goat jumped on top of their coop. I need a happy medium - a bird that defends itself until I can get out there if something is messing around the coop but will lay shortly afterward despite the stress. Given our setup, I see the birds as serving a long term function for tick control, soil fertilization and aeration etc and not just egg laying. I could go on and I am! I'll post photos soon.
It never occurred to me that the chooks could be tick control but now that you mention it... it does make perfect sense. Chalk up another one in the plus column for the chooks!

Yeah, don't want to discredit the reds for any reason... matter of fact I may end up with a bunch one day when I get over my Brahma crush or to breed with a light brahma for my EL stock but I fear their noise as my neighbors are quasi close or close enough, plus bullying my sweeter breeds would be sad. Not a efficient production machine happening at my estate lol. Def no heart attack goats.
Looking forward to the photos AND Happy Mothers Day all!!!! 💐💐💐:celebrate:ya

Back
Top Bottom