Back feathers not returning

Mo'sMenagerie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 16, 2018
Lyle,WA
I have dear, sweet black copper maran, less than a year old, who appears to be getting the brunt of the rooster love in my flock of 11. I have 2 roosters and they free range on a large piece of property. I bought a hen saddle, and she's been wearing it for more than a month and a half. It has come off a couple times, but for the most part the saddle has been on constantly. I inspected her last night, and it looks like feathers are not coming back AND she still seems to be suffering from sores. She certainly didn't like me spraying the area with Vetricyn wound care. I'm not seeing other hens peck at her, either. I'm wondering if maybe the hen saddle is keeping the feathers from coming back or else it's just not a good enough hen saddle?I bought a rather robust one from HenSaver. Any thoughts?
IMG_20200128_192112_01.jpg

IMG_20200128_192147_01.jpg

Can you put her in a cage where no one else can get to her for a while? I nursed a roo who'd been tossed in a coop with a new flock and no introduction time, they pecked him into a bloody mess. His tail feathers were missing, his back feathers worse than what her's are, wing feathers. When I first got him (a friends flock and she didn't know how to treat him) I kept him in a tote in my guestroom, as his wounds started to heal, he was moved to a Tractor Supply coop that I have that kept him away from the others but they could get to know each other, it took quite a while for the feathers to grow back in, but he turned out to be a gorgeous roo

Thanks for commenting. I could do that. I am not seeing other chickens pick on her though, and they have all been integrated for a long time. And although I know the roos are effecting her some, I just wonder if this is all from them or something else?

I had this issue with a couple of my girls, they were the favorite of the flock. I made saddles for them, it helped protect them from further damage. However it did take a long time for their feathers to come back. I believe one had to molt for everything to grow back completely. If they don’t lie the spray I would rub an over the counter anti bacterial cream on them once daily , the kind that does not contain pain medication. Put the saddle on right over it. It will take time but she will heal. I’ll try to find my before and after pics for you. Good luck!
EF32B71C-7D2C-49F9-B962-DA1AE6C2EEBA.jpeg B0C016F9-FADB-43A0-8FEF-9A63DF57165A.jpeg 0FD8E697-448B-405F-862A-CD91546163C7.jpeg

Last edited:
This is helpful information. Thank you for sharing photos even! I'll do what you suggest as well. How long did it take for the feathers to grow back? I'm glad she is looking better!

BTW, June, the back copper maran I'm posting about, asked if I would please post a "pretty" picture of her, too. She says the the others really don't show her good side:D She's the one on the left :love
IMG_0021 (1).jpg

This is helpful information. Thank you for sharing photos even! I'll do what you suggest as well. How long did it take for the feathers to grow back? I'm glad she is looking better!

BTW, June, the back copper maran I'm posting about, asked if I would please post a "pretty" picture of her, too. She says the the others really don't show her good side:D She's the one on the left :loveView attachment 2013890
They are all very pretty!

Since your pullet is not quite a year old she will probably not get new feathers until she molts. Typically birds start doing an annual molt after they are 18 months old, but some will do it sooner. So hopefully late this year, late summer, fall or winter, she will molt. I would use the saddle until that happens, or separate the rooster. If your rooster is the same age then he's probably still a cockerel, not technically a rooster yet. Cockerels can be very rough and driven entirely by their hormones. He may calm with age, or not. I don't keep roosters that hurt hens. Also do some observing to make sure the saddle is staying where it should during mounting. Every bird is slightly different, so your saddle may be slipping and maybe an adjustment will help.

Back
Top Bottom