Back hen shadow goes broody every week. Literally

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Title is all truth. Every week... BROODY! For real.

I don't want her to be broody anymore because I know a hen can die on the nest if broody as she will not eat or drink. She always eats and drinks fine and stands up for herself even though she is 2.5 times smaller than the rooster. Yes I know silkies go broody often and I know all about them and I knew I would not be raising them for eggs, I am raising them as luxurious pets! I don't want her to hurt herself so that is why I have taken away the nest box

I have taken away the nest box entirely from the coop. yes there are spots for the others to sleep in, but I need her to stop going broody so I have taken away the nesting box. There is a 4 ft tall 4 by 4 feet wide and long wooden shed in the coop for them to run around in as its dark and cold. I know chickens like to sleep and lay eggs in a dark and cold place where they feel safe. I did not just leave her in the coop with nowhere she can lay eggs or feel defenseless so that's why I just talked about the tiny wood thing for them to be in and sleep.

Will that be affective for helping her or do I just do the dog crate method. I can also put her in the other coop where the 8 week old chicks are that she hatched themselves, I raised them in the brooder and she thinks that the chicks are not hers but she has been very peaceful with them though. Will my current non broody set up work or should I do the dog crate method or do I leave her in the other coop with her young chicks with no next box

chickens actually like to sleep on a roost (a perch), they only choose then nesting box if it is the highest place they can get to. I am not sure about breaking her broodiness but if you don't care where they lay their eggs they should be fine if you just provide a perch for them to sleep on, and since you have Silkies I would put a low perch with maybe a ramp up to it since they cant really fly. they will find places on the ground to lay eggs, I would imagine if you are diligent with collecting eggs and making sure none accumulate then it would be hard for her to make a nest to be broody on and might help with breaking the broodiness.

chickens actually like to sleep on a roost (a perch), they only choose then nesting box if it is the highest place they can get to. I am not sure about breaking her broodiness but if you don't care where they lay their eggs they should be fine if you just provide a perch for them to sleep on, and since you have Silkies I would put a low perch with maybe a ramp up to it since they cant really fly. they will find places on the ground to lay eggs, I would imagine if you are diligent with collecting eggs and making sure none accumulate then it would be hard for her to make a nest to be broody on and might help with breaking the broodiness.
Yes. I have 2 low hanging perches for them. My rooster can jump 7 feet. He doesn't use his wings to help him fly up 7 feet, he can literally use his legs like a frog and jump 7 feet onto a perch. Only seen him do it once and nobody believes me

Am betting she's never actually broken her broodiness....
...she's still broody rather than going broody every week.

do I just do the dog crate method
Yes. It's the best way to go.

as its dark and cold
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1621251239969.png

Op is in AZ or TX.

I've had hens go broody in the middle of the coop when there was an egg there. Didn't last long since they weren't normal broody breeds, but they don't need a nest box

What did you end up doing?

My satin went broody and I ended up just giving her eggs to sit on. She wanted to sit on everything, the nest, the grass, the pavement :rolleyes:

In the end i figured that it would make her happiest to be able to have chicks of her own.

My russia orloff on the other hand, was easy to break. All I had to do was to block off the nesting boxes after all the hens had laid their eggs for the day.

Back
Top Bottom