1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Back in the ICU

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bird Collector, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Bird Collector

Bird Collector Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well my sweet Willow got sick again. It has been a tough week for her and I. For the last 3 years when the weather changes and it is her time to molt her chronic respirator junk rears up. Each year it has gotten worse. Last year she ended up in the house for three months because after she got sick the weather was very cold for here and I was afraid it would stress her to much. So to help her depression she got two foster babies to take care off and all was good. So again this past week I go out and her one eye was all swollen and her crop was empty. So the half bath was altered into the Willow ICU and her daily dosage of Baytril started as well as eye meds. She has eatten and drank very little and even by-passed her meal worms which I started growing just for her. So a friend came over who happens to also be a vet brought IV-fluids which we admistered and the next day she started turn a corner for the good. We have been bonding over morning coffee and nightly coctails as I doctor her and clean her eyes. This morning she came out of her little kennel chattering dove into her sunflower seeds, eggs, oatmeal and then was alowwed to have her fresh corn. Today I have hope that she may come through this one more time. How many lives does a chicken have? This year in antisipation I started giving all the chickens warm oatmeal with Poulty drench in it to boost their systems. Not sure what is going to happen by next Monday because I will be traveling Up North for the holidays. I have an excellent pet sitter for the chickens and cats but I think I will worry if she is not in a good place. So she maybe joining me my 4 dogs and parrot on an adventure to visit my Dad. He would make a great nurse. I know several people would cull but that is just not something I would do unless she was suffering and my flock is closed so I will not be passing anything along. So I must refill my coffee check on the patient and start this day. Please send all chicken vibes this way to help Willow recover.

[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sending good vibes your way. I hope Willow continues to recover. You are doing a good thing. I would have culled the flock because I have a zero tolerance policy for respiratory illnesses, but I can appreciate those that choose to do things differently.

Good luck. And have a nice trip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by