Back in the Saddle

Thefamilyroom

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 19, 2017
Hi I'm Denise. I've had chickens before, took a 3-4 year break in transition to moving and am getting ready to pick up a dozen to bring home Wednesday. I find them very enjoyable and love the eggs they produce. I DO have a few concerns about free ranging. I strongly believe in the benefit of free ranging. We have 1.5 acres but do not have fencing around our property. My last yard had a fence.

Do you have any ideas how to keep them within my area easily without too much work. I don't want to put up a fence. I do have some movable fencing that I think was designed for puppies. It makes about an 8 foot circle. It can easily be moved around but they will be able to jump it. The city ordinance basically says don't be a nuisance. So that is my goal. to give them as much freedom without bothering others.

Also how long do i keep them confined to their new space to give them time to know it is "home"?

One more-I make my own feed rich in Vit B out of grains including but not limited to: millet, rolled oats, barley, and sesame seeds. Sometimes sunflower kernels or wheat berries. Fresh fruit several times a week from May through September. Do you see a nutritional gap that i should be aware of? Thanks for your help.

Give them about a week in the coop before letting them out. As far as the wandering issue, that is a bit more difficult to answer. I have a picket fence around my half-acre backyard, and my chickens squeeze through or fly over to get to the woods around my lot. Nothing I can do about it, but they do help to keep the bug population under control. You may find that they, for the most part, stay on your property. My fear for you would be other animals getting ahold of them (dogs mostly) and them not having a sanctuary close at the time.

As for the feed, sounds like you have a good idea on nutrients. I would suggest adding some corn in there, and personally I'm finding fermented feed helps them get the nutrients in the feed a lot more readily.

We don't have many wandering dogs off their leash. I haven't had coyotes that I know of around our new house/neighborhood. Hawks are probably the biggest threat. Then Racoons; they run rampant. My coop is very secure.

Beware Raccoons are one of worst predators, even if they don't kill all the birds, they make sure any survivors are seriously maimed.

Back
Top Bottom