back injury?

peacehoneybee

Hatching
Sep 20, 2021
yesterday I noticed one of my hens laying down, panting and lifting her wings. I was/am pretty sure she was dealing with heat stroke so I got her cooled down and then brought her inside for the night. She seemed happy to get back in the coop with everyone this morning but I notice she seemed to be a little troubled with the ladder. A couple of hours later I checked on her and She is still sitting down constantly. I think she must have hurt her back? Iver checked legs and wings with no real reaction from her. I feel that she probably got heat stroke from not wanting to move and thus got dehydrated. It's been a full 24 hours since I first noticed her sitting, Is there anything that I can do to help her? Ive tried to add a link to a video of her walking. She does alternate between having her tail tucked down and fully poofed all the way up but I don't have a clue if that means anything. Any insight appreciated.

yesterday I noticed one of my hens laying down, panting and lifting her wings. I was/am pretty sure she was dealing with heat stroke so I got her cooled down and then brought her inside for the night. She seemed happy to get back in the coop with everyone this morning but I notice she seemed to be a little troubled with the ladder. A couple of hours later I checked on her and She is still sitting down constantly. I think she must have hurt her back? Iver checked legs and wings with no real reaction from her. I feel that she probably got heat stroke from not wanting to move and thus got dehydrated. It's been a full 24 hours since I first noticed her sitting, Is there anything that I can do to help her? Ive tried to add a link to a video of her walking. She does alternate between having her tail tucked down and fully poofed all the way up but I don't have a clue if that means anything. Any insight appreciated.
It definitely looks like she's limping. It could be a sprain or pulled muscle that could cause it to though. You won't always be able to see or feel that kind of injury either.

Do you have a rooster or cockerel? Can you watch her walk around more, and see if she is weaker in one leg? If you need to throw out a few seeds or treats do so. Do you see any swelling, green bruising or redness all along the whole leg and joints, or any bumblefoot scab on the bottom of her feet? Injuries are very common to legs and hips. I would make sure that she is close to food and water since she is not walking much. A dog crate for a couple of days might be good. You could give her Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml orally to give a boost.

It definitely looks like she's limping. It could be a sprain or pulled muscle that could cause it to though. You won't always be able to see or feel that kind of injury eiMy plan is to keep her confined for a couple of days and reassess then
Do you have a rooster or cockerel? Can you watch her walk around more, and see if she is weaker in one leg? If you need to throw out a few seeds or treats do so. Do you see any swelling, green bruising or redness all along the whole leg and joints, or any bumblefoot scab on the bottom of her feet? Injuries are very common to legs and hips. I would make sure that she is close to food and water since she is not walking much. A dog crate for a couple of days might be good. You could give her Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml orally to give a boost.
I dont have a rooster. I haven’t seen any bruising or swelling but I haven’t checked under her feathers, I will do that tomorrow morning. I have decided to keep her in the crate for a few days since I can monitor her intake much more closely. I have tried the nutridrench but she is very against it( rubbing her beak everywhere). Thank you for your advice!

I dont have a rooster. I haven’t seen any bruising or swelling but I haven’t checked under her feathers, I will do that tomorrow morning. I have decided to keep her in the crate for a few days since I can monitor her intake much more closely. I have tried the nutridrench but she is very against it( rubbing her beak everywhere). Thank you for your advice!
Have you tried mixing it into her water instead of giving it to her directly by mouth??

Back
Top Bottom