back to the drawing board

ebonykawai

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Wheatfield, NY near NiagFalls
Well, I'm back to square one. My mom had pre-ordered me started pullets from Meyer but I've been reading and found out they will be de-beaked. So I called my mom and told her to cancel the order. I am NOT interested in mutilated hens.

My only alternative seems to be chicks. OMG, I am totally afraid to do this. Will I kill them all??? How hard is it to raise chicks? Do I have any hope of doing it right? And how time consuming is it? And will I have to keep them in my house? But if not there, then where? My garage? What should I do????

I have 3 dogs, a cat, my daughter has hamsters. They all are thriving. We're good with animals. But baby chicks?? GAH!!!!
barnie.gif

HELP!! What should I do?

Calm down! If I can do it, anyone can. It isn't brain surgery! Warmth, draft free, predator free environment, fresh bedding, clean water and nutritious chick starter are the basics. You will love it! My brooder is in the bsmt bathroom. Keeps the dust out of the main house. Garage may be fine, depending on the brooder setup.

Spend some time here reading. The search feature works great. All your questions
have been answered here on this forum.

Raising chicks isn't hard if you are prepared. We got an order of 25 chicks
from Meyers and it was a wonderful experience. We have since hatched
over 70 of our own chicks, some who are offspring of our original Meyers order.

I think it's much better to get chickens as babies. Nothing like a cute little
fluffball.

Does anyone have a really good link that pretty much says it all about raising chicks? I've read a lot about it, but I'd like something that incorporates as much as possible. Or maybe a couple links? I just don't know if I can do it. DH and I work 40 hours a week. Do they need to be looked after more than we can do? How time consuming is it? Please point me to some good links!
fl.gif

Don't panic.................

Gosh I did it! I got my little full balls as two day olds back in August.... they're just toooo cute, and all the need it to be kept safe, warm and have food and water...

Find the brooder thread - you'll see we've all used boxes, plastic totes and all kinds of things to get our chicks going strong.
(I personally used those wire shelving system things, wire cubes. Made sure they were together real good with zip ties, and lined it with a cardboard box. Inside layers of paper towels a small feeder and a water bottle.... I had a ceramic heat bulb on one side, and they were just FINE.

Yes they make lots of dust...... I moved my babies to the patio when they were around 6 weeks old, then out to the coop at around 8 weeks.
TIME FLIES!

Back
Top Bottom