1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Back up and regroup...a brooder story!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dawn419, May 7, 2007.

1. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Oh boy, where to begin?

Last fall I mentioned to hubby that I missed having chickens after HE had mentioned to a neighbor that we wanted to do meat rabbits (Now the rabbits were something we had discussed 10 years ago). We went from 1 pet rabbit up to 38 various aged rabbits in one summer, thanks to the neighbor. [​IMG]

The day after I mention Banty chickens to him, he calls from work saying he found me the perfect sized coop for a small flock. http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2099001040

So I order 5 Silver Seabrights, 5 Mottled Cochins, 5 Blue Silkies, 5 Araucanas and 5 Black Tailed Buff Japanese from MM in February. Not knowing that I wouldn't be getting them until May because I didn't want substitutes, I got to work on making the playhouse coop draft free so I could turn it into an outdoor brooder. (We live in a 3 bdrm, single wide mobile home...no children but the 2 spare bdrms are full of orchids and other houseplants).

Got my heat lamp (red 250 watt) running yesterday just so I'b be prepared and when I checked the temp in there when I got up today it was 120 degrees F under the light. [​IMG] All I could think about was IF the chicks had been in there...:eek:

Sooo, I spent the rest of the daylight hours moving orchids outside to the front porch and will finish my indoor brooder tomorrow...[​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I just love the coop....what are the dimensions? Looks a little small in the pic for 25 birds.
    The brooder....well...first off...the wire is not good for thier little feetsies. And is there a way to put some cardboard around that to keep the draft off of them? Just a good old cardboard box would work great! Just remember, no pine shaveings till at least a week old. Good luck with you little ones, and of course we want pics! [​IMG]

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    justusnak,

The coop is 78" x 78" x 78". We'll be culling all roos except for one or possibly 2 (which may lead to a coop addition, IF i get my way!LOL)

Working on cardboarding up the sides and bottom today, just had to take a bit of a "think break". [​IMG]

Thanks for the info on the pine shavings! I would have put them in too early!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by