Back with another egg/when they will lay question

ChxLadyMary

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
Hello! I was told by people leghorns lay in between 16-18 weeks. My leghorn is the second from the left in the pictures below. She is 16 weeks old. I was also told by people their combs get red when they are laying. Does her comb look red? I wasn't sure how red it was supposed to be.

Attachments

• IMG_2697.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG
    674 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    689.3 KB · Views: 12
I was told by people leghorns lay in between 16-18 weeks.
From what I've read white leghorns are early layers and lay more eggs than brown or other varieties of leghorns.
Does she squat when you put your hand over her?
Looking at her I would say another 3 to 4 weeks.
If she recently Squatted, expect an egg in 10 to 20 days.
I've always gotten the same breeds in a batch of chicks and they never start laying the same week. It's been 2.5 to 3 weeks between first to lay and last to lay with my first two Flocks.
My current flock (ISA Browns) are 14 weeks old and none have squat.
20200807_145208_resized.jpg

GC

From what I've read white leghorns are early layers and lay more eggs than brown or other varieties of leghorns.
Does she squat when you put your hand over her?
Looking at her I would say another 3 to 4 weeks.
If she recently Squatted, expect an egg in 10 to 20 days.
I've always gotten the same breeds in a batch of chicks and they never start laying the same week. It's been 2.5 to 3 weeks between first to lay and last to lay with my first two Flocks.
My current flock (ISA Browns) are 14 weeks old and none have squat. View attachment 2284565
GC
What do you mean squat? This is my first time having chickens so I didn't do the best job socializing them. My Brown Leghorn doesn't like coming close to people and is always nervous so I don't know how to test that on her. I have another chicken a Blue Splash Maran who is friendly and kinda squats down when I pet her. But her comb isn't as red as my Leghorns. Do Blue Splash Marans also lay early?

What do you mean squat? This is my first time having chickens so I didn't do the best job socializing them. My Brown Leghorn doesn't like coming close to people and is always nervous so I don't know how to test that on her. I have another chicken a Blue Splash Maran who is friendly and kinda squats down when I pet her. But her comb isn't as red as my Leghorns. Do Blue Splash Marans also lay early?

Since you are so anxious over that first egg please realize the first ones can be soft shelled, or even laid while roosting at night and found broken the next morning under the roost bars.

Just mentioning it so you don't freak out over an odd first egg.

Other than that she will lay when she is ready to lay. :)

What do you mean squat?
It's when you approach and reach down to pet, put your hand over them they crouch down.
My Brown Leghorn doesn't like coming close to people
So this will be difficult to do.
You'll just have to observe and keep an eye out for unusual behavior, like checking nest boxes, checking a darkened corner of the coop, moving shavings/straw around.
If free ranging, checking out behind, underneath objects or under/behind shrubs or bushes and making unusual sounds.
Put out a container of Oyster Shells.
20181214_095753.jpg

GC

Back
Top Bottom