Backwards Air Cell - What should I do?

Apr 19, 2022
221B Baker Street
Hi,

I'm incubating a batch of chicken eggs right now, and today is day five. I have a Pavlovskaya in there, but its air cell is a bit bigger than it should be and it's on the pointy side of the egg, not the round side. I'm hesitant to alter humidity because the other eggs are doing great, but what do you think I should do to hatch this little one? All advice is appreciated, even if it's a lost cause. The embryo is a little farther behind in development, but it's not dead.
Candled from bottom:
IMG_0304.jpg

Candled from top:
IMG_0305.jpg

Thanks,

DTS

Hi,

I'm incubating a batch of chicken eggs right now, and today is day five. I have a Pavlovskaya in there, but its air cell is a bit bigger than it should be and it's on the pointy side of the egg, not the round side. I'm hesitant to alter humidity because the other eggs are doing great, but what do you think I should do to hatch this little one? All advice is appreciated, even if it's a lost cause. The embryo is a little farther behind in development, but it's not dead.
Candled from bottom:
View attachment 3170394

Candled from top:
View attachment 3170395

Thanks,

DTS
Whoa. I've personally never seen this before. That's crazy! Hopefully some people get on here and help you out, because I have no idea what you should do for this....is it wobbly at all, or totally stationary?

I would leave it and keep a close eye on it. Depending on where it pips it may take longer to hatch or need help. Sometimes they will externally pip on the fat end so instead of going into air cell it will pip out of shell but then still need to absorb yolk and veins before zipping so that will take a bit.

Others may know better than me though.

In my experience, some of my eggs appear to have an air cell at the bottom, but actually it's just an area of clear egg white or something that darkens around day 12 or so until that "air cell" becomes totally dark. Conversely, the other end of the egg may not have much of an air cell, to appearances, or sometimes it almost looks like there's an air cell at each end.

Assuming that it does have a larger air cell than the other eggs, it may hatch a little smaller in size. This can happen because the egg is older, and has had more time for evaporation from the egg before the incubation process began. As long as it is within a normal margin of variation, it should be fine--and what I see of the photo is nothing too large to be worried about.

Whoa. I've personally never seen this before. That's crazy! Hopefully some people get on here and help you out, because I have no idea what you should do for this....is it wobbly at all, or totally stationary?
Totally stationary.
I would leave it and keep a close eye on it. Depending on where it pips it may take longer to hatch or need help. Sometimes they will externally pip on the fat end so instead of going into air cell it will pip out of shell but then still need to absorb yolk and veins before zipping so that will take a bit.

Others may know better than me though.
Okay, thanks. I'll definitely be watching it.
In my experience, some of my eggs appear to have an air cell at the bottom, but actually it's just an area of clear egg white or something that darkens around day 12 or so until that "air cell" becomes totally dark. Conversely, the other end of the egg may not have much of an air cell, to appearances, or sometimes it almost looks like there's an air cell at each end.

Assuming that it does have a larger air cell than the other eggs, it may hatch a little smaller in size. This can happen because the egg is older, and has had more time for evaporation from the egg before the incubation process began. As long as it is within a normal margin of variation, it should be fine--and what I see of the photo is nothing too large to be worried about.
Wow. I think that this is definitely the air cell. Okay. Thank you very much. I'll post updates whenever something changes.

I’ve been hatching for several years and I’ve never seen this either! 🤷‍♀️
I have seen them on the sides several times. These are usually incubated upright so the aircell can shift up and it normally will. Hate to give you bad advice but maybe trying to incubate this one upright and see if the aircell moves to the top where it’s supposed to be? Hopefully others more knowledgeable will respond.🤔

I’ve been hatching for several years and I’ve never seen this either! 🤷‍♀️
I have seen them on the sides several times. These are usually incubated upright so the aircell can shift up and it normally will. Hate to give you bad advice but maybe trying to incubate this one upright and see if the aircell moves to the top where it’s supposed to be? Hopefully others more knowledgeable will respond.🤔
I'll see what some other people say. I don't know if I can incubate it upright due to the type of incubator I have, but I might try.

Back
Top Bottom