Backyard Brahmas!!

Anyone has data on growth rates of Brahma chicks. My chicks turned 7 weeks today and between the 4 of them they have started eating about 1.5 lbs (24 oz of feed every day) that's 6 oz per chick. I weighed them today and they gained 2.5 oz on avg. So basically 2.5 oz of weight gain for 42 oz feed consumption in a week per chick. The wastage is minimal and I believe its not being eaten by any sparrows etc (since I have a 1/2 inch hardware cloth encircling the coop and run)

Any ideas?

Last edited:
moved two buff brahma chicks to the brooder
wee.gif

Anyone has data on growth rates of Brahma chicks. My chicks turned 7 weeks today and between the 4 of them they have started eating about 1.5 lbs (24 oz of feed every day) that's 6 oz per chick. I weighed them today and they gained 2.5 oz on avg. So basically 2.5 oz of weight gain for 42 oz feed consumption in a week per chick. The wastage is minimal and I believe its not being eaten by any sparrows etc (since I have a 1/2 inch hardware cloth encircling the coop and run)

Any ideas?
I don't really have an answer, just an observation. My 5 week olds have started eating like crazy this week. Seems like in the past, all of mine go on an eating frenzy when they reach a certain age (usually 5-6 weeks), and then slow down when they are about 10 weeks old. Probably for the growth spurt that they experience around that time? Anyway, it happens to me too but then the feed bill seems to go down after a few weeks. Maybe we should consider this age their "teenage" years and expect them to eat like teenagers do.

I too have noticed mine are eating like mad teenage boys. If it can be swallowed look out!! I am giving then tuna twice a week just as a precaution.They are penned with three Cochin so the tuna is shared with them.

Last edited:
Amen! I'm putting off trying it too. :/ Definitely will be after our summer trip- can't expect a friend to be sloshing through slop for me. ;)

Haven't gotten there yet, but thinking about it.   Ah.....just a little more work, right?
not much trouble at all. Pour feed in bucket. Cover with water. Add 1 cup buttermilk. Cover with a scrap piece of wood. Stir occasionally. It takes about 3 days. Its well worth it. And ur chickens will thank u for it

Back
Top Bottom