Backyard Brahmas!!

I am soo happy look at the new pullet I just bought last night, I had to take pictures this morning.
She's a beauty. What kind of Brahma is she?
My 1

I have thus chicken...its comb swelled and got red/pink at three weeks old, but now it's Looking like a pullet.
His/her name is Pierre, because when he was growing up he looked very much like a Frenchman.
I know that brahmas are slow to mature but wouldn't cockerels have saddle/hackle feathers by now? Several weeks ago, I saw what looked like the green, curved sickle feathers coming in, but I assume my little hellion silkie cockerel pulled them out? Maybe I'm seeing things. I don't know.

Hatch date was the first of Aprilish. I didn't hatch him myself, I got him thrown in with some hatching eggs I bought. Also why he's the only brahma I have. I have to be honest, I was secretly hoping he'd be a boy since he's so kind and gentle natured.
About 20 weeks old (picture is from yesterday, I think? My schedule doesn't lend itself kindly to keeping how many days have gone by straight)

Last edited:
I have thus chicken...its comb swelled and got red/pink at three weeks old, but now it's Looking like a pullet.
His/her name is Pierre, because when he was growing up he looked very much like a Frenchman.
I know that brahmas are slow to mature but wouldn't cockerels have saddle/hackle feathers by now? Several weeks ago, I saw what looked like the green, curved sickle feathers coming in, but I assume my little hellion silkie cockerel pulled them out? Maybe I'm seeing things. I don't know.

Hatch date was the first of Aprilish. I didn't hatch him myself, I got him thrown in with some hatching eggs I bought. Also why he's the only brahma I have. I have to be honest, I was secretly hoping he'd be a boy since he's so kind and gentle natured.
About 20 weeks old (picture is from yesterday, I think? My schedule doesn't lend itself kindly to keeping how many days have gone by straight)
Hi Subhanalah. Nice to see you on here.
Nothing there tells me it´s a cockerel. Can you get a side-view pic? I doubt your other cockerel pulled the feathers out of this one. You probably saw new feathers coming in, that´s all.
I have two pullets too that have always had very red faces. They´ve not started laying yet, though shouldn´t be too far off, as the cockerel has just started mating them. They´re now over 6 months old, but have had the red faces for months.

Pierre will present with a little round brown gift one of these days.

I have one of my Brahmas on 7 eggs.  At least 4 of them have little ones in, and they´re cheaping, so from tomorrow.......more little fluffy things.  :D  
Eeeeeeee! Looks like I got here just in time! Can't wait to see them. I'm kind of concerned about how hot it gets here, that's why I originally decided against brahmas being my breed of choice (hahaha, joke's on me! Just ONE breed...that was before I had chickens and before I knew what chicken math was!)

Also, Pierre squatted for me the other day. I guess maybe I'm just in denial, lol. What is the femme form of Pierre?
I'll try to get some pictures either tonight or tomorrow.

Eeeeeeee! Looks like I got here just in time! Can't wait to see them. I'm kind of concerned about how hot it gets here, that's why I originally decided against brahmas being my breed of choice (hahaha, joke's on me! Just ONE breed...that was before I had chickens and before I knew what chicken math was!)

Also, Pierre squatted for me the other day. I guess maybe I'm just in denial, lol. What is the femme form of Pierre?
I'll try to get some pictures either tonight or tomorrow.
The temperature here gets up to around a hundred F? (38ºC here is quite common) The Brahmas do ok, they just go and hide in the shade, while the other breeds are out in the heat scratching about!
What about Petra? It´s close. Looking forward to pics.Here are my two that had the redder faces.. Supposed to be partridge, but aren´t quite....

Back
Top Bottom