Backyard Brahmas!!

I do not have a roooster yet, I want to get a brahma roo for a few reasons size, I love how they look what I have seen on how gentle their temperament is and ability to get along with other roosters. being cold hardy ect, the plan is to raise chicks replace layers as needed and eat babys being slow to mature is that dressing weight versus sexual maturity?

They are slow to mature size and reproductively too. However; it would also depend on what type of hens you have. Because F1 hybrids usually grow bigger and faster than their parents... That's why we cross breeds, they call it hybrid vigor.

I do not have a roooster yet, I want to get a brahma roo for a few reasons size, I love how they look what I have seen on how gentle their temperament is and ability to get along with other roosters. being cold hardy ect, the plan is to raise chicks replace layers as needed and eat babys being slow to mature is that dressing weight versus sexual maturity? 

A bit of both. Brahma chickens were originally breed,to get big and bulky fast. But as they became their own breed, instead of a mix, they began to mature more slowly. Although they are one of the largest breeds, it's easy to lose size ratio when mixed with smaller breeds. Often times, you wind up with a smaller, slower to mature mix. My Brahma was fast to feather, but slow to grow to full size.

What are the breeds of your hens

hrmm I like cornish game hen too lol

you mean the pullets I have now? or if they were crossed with a brahma?

At the given breeds you already have, and after being mixed. They are close enough to the same size and growth ratio that idon't think you will lose to much on either end. Cockerels may reach 7-8lbs by 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom