Backyard Brahmas!!

@Blooie
congrats
thumbsup.gif

The babies are here, the babies are here! And they all have feathered legs! Yippeeee!!! Ordered 8, and all 8 made it but one looks a lot weaker than the others. They all got a dose of sugar water, then a drink of regular water, and a little chick feed scattered on the paper towels. The weak chick also got a dose of PolyViSol. But sugar, water and food ain't what they wanted - they wanted to get under that heating pad and stay there!

I'll take some pictures after they've had a little time to settle in. They were delayed overnight in Casper so it took four full days to get here. I figure I've got plenty of time to take "first-day" photos but they need to warm up and get settled. That's the same reason they aren't going directly out into the run right now. I want to keep an eye on them for the first 24 hours before they go out to the brooder pen.

I'm so excited!!!
thumbsup.gif
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, got a few pics....the tiniest one that I was worried about earlier has sure done a turn around! At first she staggered when she tried to walk....kept her eyes closed and kinda wobbled in place a lot too. Tonight I just watched her shove a slightly larger chick away from the nipple on the waterer - SHE wanted that one. Now, before anyone scolds me for the brooder being too little, I know that it sure is. But they are going out to the big brooder in the run tomorrow, as soon as I know they are all okay.

Checking out the cave and Mama Heating Pad.

This is the tiny one I wondered about, taken shortly after getting them settled in. She actually looks better in this photo than she did at first.

And this is her this evening. She's probably still not 100% in the clear - I know it's not unusual to lose one or two a couple of days after they get home - but things are certainly looking better.

Getting a drink of water...took them all of 10 seconds to figure out the nipple waterer.

A bevy of Buff Brahmas - real Buff Brahmas!

Heading back into the cave after one final snack and drink.

Would you just look at all of those lovely hairy legs!!!

I am one happy lady tonight! They look pretty good for 4 days of shipping!

Last edited:
They're beautiful! Congratulations! I adore our Buff Brahma, Caroline, my last remaining hatchery hen. She's heading toward 9 years old now, great old gal, salt of the earth. Want more in the future when I'm rebuilding my flocks.

WOW she looks much better after some rest and some warmth. Nice to finally have the fuzzy legged little monsters I am sure.
They look wonderful for having such a long trip.

They're beautiful! Congratulations! I adore our Buff Brahma, Caroline, my last remaining hatchery hen. She's heading toward 9 years old now, great old gal, salt of the earth. Want more in the future when I'm rebuilding my flocks.
She sounds wonderful.....just be sure the new ones you get later have hairy legs! Remember, they aren't slower to get feathers on their legs than the Lights. <sigh>
lau.gif
If you get confused, there are pictures of rare and endangered "Buff Bald Footed Brahmas" right here for comparison. (can you tell I still feel stupid?)

Thanks, 21hens....I am sure glad that I got these!

Last edited:
Hi All,

Hope I can join in here! I recently had a Moment Of Weakness at TSC and somehow 6 little bantam chicks hitched a ride home with me. Chicken Math. Whatever.
Anyway, I've pretty much figured out what they all are, and it seems I've got a little Brahma. This little fuzzball is the SWEETEST chick ever...I am absolutely in love. (I have a leash-trained rooster, so when I say "sweet," that's really saying something.)

Here are a couple of pics of my little Brahma....at least, I think it's a Brahma. I've named the chick Swiffer.

Here's Swiffer at about 2 days old:

And here's Swiffer today, at a little over 3 weeks old:

Also, is there a definite way to tell gender at this age, based on coloring? I'm thinking she looks kind of girlish right now.

Thanks,
Katja

Hi All,

Hope I can join in here! I recently had a Moment Of Weakness at TSC and somehow 6 little bantam chicks hitched a ride home with me. Chicken Math. Whatever.
Anyway, I've pretty much figured out what they all are, and it seems I've got a little Brahma. This little fuzzball is the SWEETEST chick ever...I am absolutely in love. (I have a leash-trained rooster, so when I say "sweet," that's really saying something.)

Here are a couple of pics of my little Brahma....at least, I think it's a Brahma. I've named the chick Swiffer.

Also, is there a definite way to tell gender at this age, based on coloring? I'm thinking she looks kind of girlish right now.

Thanks,
Katja
Looks like a pullet to me. Has a lot of feathering for so young and usually pullets feather the fastest.

Hi All,

Thanks,
Katja
The first pic sure looks like a Brahma but the second pic looks like a mottled cochin. (girl by the way)
Super sweet chickens them cochins are.

Back
Top Bottom