Backyard Brahmas!!

IM SO DANG CONFUSED,

I've been reading this thread, as i want to get some Brahmas this spring,

how many colors are there? you can order?
as in

Buff
black
white ect?

my local hardware store says they can get me anything i want,

I'm looking to add 6 to my 6- 1year old comets this spring, and eventually go all BRAHMAS and breed

Last edited:
@oldfartfarmer

Most large hatcheries(probably where your feed store gets its chicks) carry buff, light and dark.

Buff - have a tan body with black on their head and tails.

Light - have a white body with black on their head and tails.

Dark - have females with silver and black penciled feathers all over their bodies and males with black bodies with white in large patches.

Hope this helps. My descriptions aren't very technical but for me the technical names is part of the confusion.

Last edited:
@oldfartfarmer

Most large hatcheries(probably where your feed store gets its chicks) carry buff, light and dark.

Buff - have a tan body with black on their head and tails.

Light - have a white body with black on their head and tails.

Dark - have females with silver and black penciled feathers all over their bodies and males with black bodies with white in large patches.

Hope this helps. My descriptions aren't very technical but for me the technical names is part of the confusion.

thank you, I just might get one of each,,LOL

IM SO DANG CONFUSED,

I've been reading this thread, as i want to get some Brahmas this spring,

how many colors are there? you can order?
as in

Buff
black
white ect?

my local hardware store says they can get me anything i want,

I'm looking to add 6 to my 6- 1year old comets this spring, and eventually go all BRAHMAS and breed
If you want to breed nice looking, bred to the SOP Brahmas, I suggest getting them from a breeder, not a hatchery. Hatcheries breed quantity, not quality. There are several people on here that breed very nice Brahmas. Me included. lol I don't have the standard colors though. I have Gold Laced, Blue/Gold Partridge, & Blues. If you just want them for a backyard flock, then a hatchery would be fine. They will definitely be cheaper at a hatchery, because as much as breeders spend on their stock, they charge a lil more. If you have any questions, you can PM me. I'm no expert, but I'll try to help you in any way I can.

2 of my girls. Any idea when they might start laying? They are about 9 months old and no eggs yet. Is it just our days are too short - only just over 8hrs of sun up at the moment.

My third girl, also sold to me as a brahma but I'm thinking might be crossed with something else? She started laying in october at 6 months old and went broody in december. She's got far less feathering on her feet than the other 2.

2 of my girls. Any idea when they might start laying? They are about 9 months old and no eggs yet. Is it just our days are too short - only just over 8hrs of sun up at the moment.
Cute girls! Mine didn't start laying until they were a year old. Had to do with the time of year I got them & that they are not hatchery stock. Hatcheries cross their birds with better layers sometimes to get slow layers, like Brahmas, to lay earlier & more eggs.

Cute girls! Mine didn't start laying until they were a year old. Had to do with the time of year I got them & that they are not hatchery stock. Hatcheries cross their birds with better layers sometimes to get slow layers, like Brahmas, to lay earlier & more eggs.

I got them from a local breeder. I would guess that any crossing would be accidental with his silkies as thats all he was breeding.

Back
Top Bottom