Backyard Brahmas!!

Pics
I've suspected it since he was only 4 weeks old. He was the biggest of the chicks and his comb was redder then than the adorable, tiny combs on the Big Red Boys.

Several people assured me he could indeed be a she. But two weeks ago I saw him raise hackles at one of the boys and hens don't do that.

Here's my little brahma gang. The one at the back I think is gold and hoping may be female, the two at the front I suspect may be male :( would their colour be called dark? They are 9 weeks old.

Last edited:
Question: What are the sizes of your brahmas?

I feel like mine are on the small size and I'm hoping for nice, giant birds. The hatchery catalog describes brahmas as 9 1/2 to 12 lbs. My rooster is only 7 lbs and he's one year and seven months old. I read that brahmas take two years to reach full maturity, but they are getting close to that age. Maybe mine will just be on the small side.

Some colors of Brahmas seem to be bigger than others. I have had silver laced and gold laced Brahmas and have had to re-home them because they are just too small for my roosters. I'm afraid they will get ripped to shreds! I have a buff Brahma that I got from a feed store. She is very small compared to my other guys. My roosters that I have are running 15 to 17 pounds. My main guy, Samson, is almost 17 pounds but his son, Burt, is taller and he's only 10 months old! I have some hens that are pretty huge, too, running about 12 pounds.

Some colors of Brahmas seem to be bigger than others.  I have had silver laced and gold laced Brahmas and have had to re-home them because they are just too small for my roosters.  I'm afraid they will get ripped to shreds!  I have a buff Brahma that I got from a feed store.  She is very small compared to my other guys.  My roosters that I have are running 15 to 17 pounds.  My main guy, Samson, is almost 17 pounds but his son, Burt, is taller and he's only 10 months old!  I have some hens that are pretty huge, too, running about 12 pounds.

Although my two brahmas are only 4.5 weeks old, I can already see that my light is bigger than my buff.

Hello everyone :)

I have two light Brahma's and two buff Brahma's, along with some other bread's.
These are our first flock of chickens we have had and so far we are enjoying them very much!!

My question is: our light Brahma's are bleeding on their legs. One( Snowball) has no feathers on her legs. It seems like when they start growing is when the bleeding starts and there aren't any new feathers on her legs any longer. They are 8 weeks old and our buff Brahma's legs are FULL of beautiful feathers.
Should I be concerned ?

Thanks-( picture is my daughter with Snowball )

Hello everyone
smile.png

I have two light Brahma's and two buff Brahma's, along with some other bread's.
These are our first flock of chickens we have had and so far we are enjoying them very much!!

My question is: our light Brahma's are bleeding on their legs. One( Snowball) has no feathers on her legs. It seems like when they start growing is when the bleeding starts and there aren't any new feathers on her legs any longer. They are 8 weeks old and our buff Brahma's legs are FULL of beautiful feathers.
Should I be concerned ?

Thanks-( picture is my daughter with Snowball )

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...feathers-at-my-wits-end-appreciate-any-advice

Some colors of Brahmas seem to be bigger than others. I have had silver laced and gold laced Brahmas and have had to re-home them because they are just too small for my roosters. I'm afraid they will get ripped to shreds! I have a buff Brahma that I got from a feed store. She is very small compared to my other guys. My roosters that I have are running 15 to 17 pounds. My main guy, Samson, is almost 17 pounds but his son, Burt, is taller and he's only 10 months old! I have some hens that are pretty huge, too, running about 12 pounds.

I'm so jealous. I would like my brahmas to be 17 lbs. That would be gorgeous. I'm wondering if it's due to hatchery birds, breeders' birds, or colors, etc. So far, my dark brahma cockerels look like they will be bigger than my light rooster.

I'm so jealous. I would like my brahmas to be 17 lbs. That would be gorgeous. I'm wondering if it's due to hatchery birds, breeders' birds, or colors, etc. So far, my dark brahma cockerels look like they will be bigger than my light rooster.
These guys didn't come from a hatchery. Their ancestors came from eggs I ordered years ago off the internet. I have noticed, though, my unusual colored Brahmas are much bigger than my buff, dark, and light Brahmas.

Back
Top Bottom