Backyard Brahmas!!

I'm so excited! My little pullet (okay, she's not so little) actually laid two eggs this week! I only check their box every few days because she wasn't laying yet. I guess I'll have to check every day now. It seems strange that her egg is so much smaller than my layer's eggs. But anyway, I'm happy, happy, happy!
clap.gif
She´ll get there...sometimes they´re tiny, or without a shell, etc, but well done. You´ll soon have some nice eggs from her.

Ok, now you're talking patterns, This is a completely separate, and much more complicated matter.

Patterns are determined by a combination of genes,

Henk's calculator can be very helpful. Play around with it.
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html
How do you input one of the standard colors into the calculator, like buff, light or dark? Are they Columbian patterned or some other pattern?

Just thought I'd share some updated photos of my GL Brahmas! These littles (well not so little now) are just at 6 months old. You can VERY clearly see the VH on Pepper. Ginger (the lightest) is gorgeous in her proportion to me, and Cinnamon has finally come out of the runty look and is really starting to look like a Brahma. In these pictures Pepper was the first to find a stray snowball to peck at and eat, then the others came over, along with one of my SF girls, Kiwi! So excited that it looks like they should all be pullets!

How do you input one of the standard colors into the calculator, like buff, light or dark? Are they Columbian patterned or some other pattern?

Ok, click just to the right of the little picture, where it says show examples. Then arrow over the pictures that come up, it will bring up a short description. Click on the one you want, and it is then moved to the top of the page.

Light is listed as Columbian(shows a white bird with black trim)

Buff is listed as buff Columbian.

To get dark I go down to multiple laced partridge/brown, click on it. Then scroll down to S silver, switch it from s+ gold/wild type, to S silver, and you have silver penciled/dark Brahma.

What are your experiences with Brahmas and broodiness? I have 16 Brahma hens all from cackle hatchery.

I am mainly curious b/c if I have a hen go broody I would like to have her hatch eggs from a certain roosters but I haven't yet culled the extra boy. Should i set up a "breeding pen" already or wait; as I know it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to guarantee the father.

Just thought I'd share some updated photos of my GL Brahmas! These littles (well not so little now) are just at 6 months old. You can VERY clearly see the VH on Pepper. Ginger (the lightest) is gorgeous in her proportion to me, and Cinnamon has finally come out of the runty look and is really starting to look like a Brahma. In these pictures Pepper was the first to find a stray snowball to peck at and eat, then the others came over, along with one of my SF girls, Kiwi! So excited that it looks like they should all be pullets!
Nicole! They are beautiful! So glad you kept them all, I felt so bad not taking them. Turns out our set up would but have been too crowded for even one more. I still want some gold laced girls but I'll have to be patient. Thanks for posting these pics!

Nicole! They are beautiful! So glad you kept them all, I felt so bad not taking them. Turns out our set up would but have been too crowded for even one more. I still want some gold laced girls but I'll have to be patient. Thanks for posting these pics!
Absolutely! It took quite a bit of back and forth with the city and did get a bit ugly, but in the end we were able to keep all 9 of our birdies! They are so much fun!

What are your experiences with Brahmas and broodiness? I have 16 Brahma hens all from cackle hatchery.

I am mainly curious b/c if I have a hen go broody I would like to have her hatch eggs from a certain roosters but I haven't yet culled the extra boy. Should i set up a "breeding pen" already or wait; as I know it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month to guarantee the father.
Hi SD. Is she already laying? My brahmas lay eggs....I take some, then they´ll sit on maybe 3- 6 that I leave in the nest. I´ve no idea how hatchery ones are, but if you want to breed them, then yes, separate those you want to breed and wait and see if she´ll go broody. Mine go broody fairly readily, and I only keep the cock I want to breed with the hens. Spare cocks move out.
smile.png

Pretty colours. mine have VHs, I don´t worry about it, because in England they´re not viewed as a problem, nor here where I live now. Nor in some other countries. I just love the fluffiness and chunkiness of them and their calm natures. I heard of someone who lives a couple of hours away from me who has brahmas from Holland, (VH also OK) I´m going to try to suss him out.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom