Backyard Brahmas!!

My Brahmas spent their first night in the big coop last night. When I checked on them after dark, the little dummies were in a corner of the run, against the fence!! SMH. Thank goodness nothing reached through the fencing for a snack!! I had to move them inside the coop. I'll just have to keep moving them until they figure it out on their own.

Silly birds.

Thank you for comment about my honeys setup. They seem to like it. :D

This all happened last night....I also had a situation where they huddled in a corner. I felt bad cause I knew we were about to get a heck of a lot of rain. I put a low wattage light pointed toward their coop and they stayed in there for the most part. I was a nervous Nellie all night...the hubby laughed at me, I think one time in his sleep. Checked them this morning to turn off light and to see them 8 of 12 were in the run. It's ok. I'm sure they will figure it out. Tonight's a new night and only a little rain in the forecast so we'll see how they do.

Last edited:
For those introducing birds to a new coop/run try keeping them in the coop for a day or two first. They learn that they have food/water and it's warm/dry and safe. Then open the door for them to go out...if something scares them they usually go right back to where they were safe and will return there to roost. I'll be doing it myself this week...moving 4 hens to a new breeder coop/run that they've never been in.

Agreed.

Also I would suggest putting a door on your coop, and using it. You will sleep better, and your birds will live longer.

Oh no tht's horrible! So sorry to hear that happened. Is their coop enclosed by a pen or just open to your yard? Any ideas on what killed them? I'm glad you have your brooder chicks although I realize that's cold comfort.

Oh no tht's horrible! So sorry to hear that happened. Is their coop enclosed by a pen or just open to your yard? Any ideas on what killed them? I'm glad you have your brooder chicks although I realize that's cold comfort.
Enclosed by a fence. Raccoons I think. tore fence to shreds getting out I think. Didn't eat any just killed them all. have found one partridge brahma hen still breathing but in shock. trying to save her.

Back
Top Bottom