Backyard Brahmas!!

Good luck saving her! Shock is the most immedite threat to her if she isn't currently bleeding. If you haven't dealt with this before, put her somewhere warm, quiet, and dim. When my Black Australorp survived a dog mauling, I treated her wounds with blu-kote and non-medicated neosporin and dropper-fed her a honey-water mixture to keep her hydrated. (she did recover, and you wouldn't be able to tell she had ever been missing so many feathers her back was bald and a chunk of skin was missing).

What kind of fencing did you have? Sadly, chicken wire us only goid at keeping chickens contained (and badly at that). Your situation has lit a fire under me to reinforce my fencing with an electric line, I've been holding off because it's been so cold out but now's the time before I end up saying "If only..."

Good luck saving her! Shock is the most immedite threat to her if she isn't currently bleeding. If you haven't dealt with this before, put her somewhere warm, quiet, and dim. When my Black Australorp survived a dog mauling, I treated her wounds with blu-kote and non-medicated neosporin and dropper-fed her a honey-water mixture to keep her hydrated. (she did recover, and you wouldn't be able to tell she had ever been missing so many feathers her back was bald and a chunk of skin was missing).

What kind of fencing did you have? Sadly, chicken wire us only goid at keeping chickens contained (and badly at that). Your situation has lit a fire under me to reinforce my fencing with an electric line, I've been holding off because it's been so cold out but now's the time before I end up saying "If only..."
It was electric fencing. The chicken wire is inside the chicken house, not designed to keep predators out since in theory they can't get into the house, unless someone really stupid like me forgets to close one of the doors. They came in through the rooster door that I left open, then tore out the chicken wire in each pen, killing all. I think raccoons because they went for the necks and some are missing heads. And they were smart enough to tear out the wire.

I found one more still alive, six weeks old. Missing an eye and neck is messed up but after I put them both in the broody room, it started chirping at the chicks, even though it can barely lift it's head. The broody room is normally 80 degrees, but I turned it up to 85. I can't get either to take any water, even with a dropper it just rolls out. Don't have much hope that they will survive. Both have wounds that I need to treat, but only if I get them to take some water.

I have automatic door on all but the rooster coop door. I was saving up to put one in, guess I don't need to now since all my roosters are dead except for the one in the dog kennel.

That does sound like raccoons, and it's hard not to blame yourself but you're human and make mistakes. I know I've jumped up because I realized that I left the pop door open past dusk more than once.

My wounded girl didn't want to drink or eat for a while either. When I used the eyedropper, I would put a drip at a time alongside her beak, and most of it would slide into her mouth. Oh, first I ground up a baby asprin and dissolved it into the water since I figured she was aching.

@bumpercarr

I am so sorry for the loss of your flock. I really hope the two that survived make it through this tough time. Care and Patience will hopefully lead them to the road of Recovery. Best of luck in caring for them.

Update: Hen is still alive, but not doing so well. Managed to get her to take some water and used blu cote on her wounds. Six week old is doing better than the hen, same with water and blu cote. It lost an eye, so it will be blind on one side if it makes it but I think it is a pullet, so I'll do everything I can to save it. Thanks for all of the well wishes.

fl.gif

I left a door open and all of my chickens are dead except for the ones in the brooder. I am absolutely devastated. Don't know what I am going to do.

Enclosed by a fence. Raccoons I think. tore fence to shreds getting out I think. Didn't eat any just killed them all. have found one partridge brahma hen still breathing but in shock. trying to save her.
Oh, that´s terrible! Poor chickens and poor you! I hope your poor partridge Brahma makes it.

Update: Hen is still alive, but not doing so well. Managed to get her to take some water and used blu cote on her wounds. Six week old is doing better than the hen, same with water and blu cote. It lost an eye, so it will be blind on one side if it makes it but I think it is a pullet, so I'll do everything I can to save it. Thanks for all of the well wishes.

fl.gif
Just caught up with it all. glad to hear they´re both going still.
We all forget things, the raccoons just came at the wrong time! just out of interest, I had a hen with a really bad wound on her side, just bare muscle and flesh and all maggoty. She was brooding at the time, so I hadn´t noticed earlier. By the time I did, she was in a bad way. She abandoned her nest, and I went to find out why and discovered the wound. The eggs hatched, I put them under a lamp! And she´s absolutely fine. There´s a spray here that comes out looking like silver paint, so I think it must be similar to the blue-kote. Brilliatn stuff, and she´s completeyly recovered, just a small patch that doesn´t have feathers on. Quite amazing.

@bumpercarr
I am so sorry and sad for you. I can tell just by reading your posts these past couple of weeks that you really enjoyed your flock. I hope that you manage to find some peace.

Back
Top Bottom