Backyard Brahmas!!

He was suppose to be a light brahma. What is "peanuts" like extra to fill an order? Lol I may call him Peanut!
Yes, peanuts are extras put in the box to make sure that everyone keeps warm. That is why they have minimum orders, but sometimes even the minimum isn't enough so they throw extras in. Almost always cockerels, since most people don't want them (it also one of the objections that animal rights activists have against hatcheries, among other things).

I hatch my own, and of course expect about 1/2 of mine to be cockerels. I think I'm lucky with the 4 1/2 week old chicks that I moved to the coop last week. Looks to me like 4 pullets, 2 cockerels right now (subject to change of course). Brahmas are just so hard to sex when they are young. So, it is always important to have a plan for the extra cockerels, whether to eat them, try to sell them, give them away or hope that they'll all get along and be lawn ornaments. I eat them or give them away, but that is my personal preference. Everyone that hatches their own on here usually has a plan of some sort for them.

If you've read very much of this thread, you'll find lots of folks that ordered brahma pullets, but ended up with a cockerel or two in the bunch. I don't know how prevalent it is with other breeds, but it definitely happens a lot with brahmas.

Apparently even with Dark Brahmas which are supposed to be easy to sex you'll get a cockere in there once in a while. My Mokie is a perfect example. Luckily, though I wanted two pullets we're ecstatic to have him. He's already monstrous compared to the rest of the chicks and even towers over his siste.

Last edited:
I know there's a thread for this but thought I'd get better luck here as my BB's are "true"... Any idea on genders? It could still be too early as they are 8 weeks now. But any guesses would be helpful :)

Sorry pictures are at best angles and all, they were basking in the sun :)

Back
Top Bottom