Backyard Brahmas!!

Both of my Light Brahma pullets (15 week old) have been making a sound every few minutes for the past 2 months (or at least thats when I noticed it). The sound is like "Tookh" or "chookh". There are no respiratory symptoms, no running nose or eyes, poops are normal. Just wondering what this sound is, Bad vocal cords or something else. Its obviously not contagious because none of my other birds have caught it if it were an infection.

Any suggestions whether to fix it or leave it alone.

My broody girl did it!! She made it! :D

She had a total of four good eggs; this one actually hatched yesterday. It is LOUD underneath her and there is at least one still hatching that I can see.

Question: this (partridge) baby has chipmunk stripes. Like, for real. I don't remember my incubator babies having that dark of markings... Anyone had this?

...and one of my baby girls this evening.. They got wet in the rain lol.

(Don't worry, it was only for a minute until I realized it was raining, plus it's 90* here)

Both of my Light Brahma pullets (15 week old) have been making a sound every few minutes for the past 2 months (or at least thats when I noticed it). The sound is like "Tookh" or "chookh". There are no respiratory symptoms, no running nose or eyes, poops are normal. Just wondering what this sound is, Bad vocal cords or something else. Its obviously not contagious because none of my other birds have caught it if it were an infection.

If they seem well, I wouldn't stress over it. My birds ALL sneeze for a bit after I fill feeders. Is it dusty where you are?

Mine bark, is that the sound that you are talking about? None of my brahma females make normal chicken noises, they all just kind of bark when they need something or want someone to come over and look at something. If not that, if they don't seem to be in distress, I'd not worry overmuch about it.

I only have one female Brahma. Mine also makes a sort of barking sound instead of clucking like a normal chicken. I've noticed that Cochins also seem to have a special sound unlike other breeds of chickens. Neat to know that Brahmas do as well. The sound my Dark Brahma pullet makes is almost like the "chook chook!" sound a rooster makes when calling his hens to food but not exactly.

Back
Top Bottom