Backyard Brahmas!!

A dark over light breeding should produce birds like this.

A dark over buff should produce pullets that look like the female above, but cockerels will be split gold/silver as bumpercar stated. which will likely look like the male above with brassy yellowish hackle and saddle feathers.

I found this picture on the web, this looks to be a light/buff cross split silver/gold. Now your cross males from the buff hens will be similarly colored, with the addition of residual penciling.

Last edited:
Yes..she is my wife...she picked her own screen name...those birds are from a light x dark cross over a buff....they were sexlinked. Males were light and females buff

Yes..she is my wife...she picked her own screen name...those birds are from a light x dark cross over a buff....they were sexlinked. Males were light and females buff
lau.gif

I'm kind of confused here. The patterns are about what I would expect from that combination, but the colors are not.

Being a light x dark cross the male would be silver based and when bred to a buff hen should have produced silver pullets and split silver/gold males. Yet your hens are buff and your males look to be pure silver.

Actually I take that back, some of your hens are patterned about what I would expect from that cross, while some of your hens, and your males look to be a clean/pure columbian pattern.

Back
Top Bottom