Backyard Brahmas!!

I've noticed a huge difference since I switched to layer pellets instead of crumbles, mentioned by someone on this thread I believe.

Haven't been on it long enough to give an exact savings, but I notice I'm refilling feeders way less.

Last edited:
These are my first chickens and I'm certainly not planning on showing them. They are just pets with the extra bonus of eggs. But I'm curious- are they buff or golden laced?

These are my first chickens and I'm certainly not planning on showing them. They are just pets with the extra bonus of eggs. But I'm curious- are they buff or golden laced?
Look like buffs to me except for the one on the right in the second picture....that one looks laced/Columbian. Are they from the same breeding or do you know?

Look like buffs to me except for the one on the right in the second picture....that one looks laced/Columbian.  Are they from the same breeding or do you know?

I'm not sure- I just assumed they were. I got all 3 from the same guy at the same time. A friend and I picked up 6 from him and she took the other 3. 2 of hers look like the one on the right in that 2nd picture.

My guess is buff columbian with some penciling (probably dark, or less likely but still possible partridge) in their background. I base this on that they appear to have light edges to their feathers. A single laced bird (gold laced) has a dark edge.

Single laced--double laced--penciled

Last edited:
My guess is buff columbian with some penciling (probably dark, or less likely but still possible partridge) in their background. I base this on that they appear to have light edges to their feathers. A single laced bird (gold laced) has a dark edge.

Single laced--double laced--penciled
How did I know that you would have a good answer!
old.gif

Looks like I'm about a year late. I had 7 LF Light Brahma dropped in my lap last night. My husband sent me a text saying I just had chickens donated to me. Let me say chickens are my thing not his... I'm thinking somebody is giving to dump roos. He said no no. Its white and black bantam with feather legs. 2 roos five hens. I was thinking Silkie, d'Uccle, Cochin, Brahma all nice... I ho with him yo get them to make sure it wasn't all roos. Turns out the son moved out and left his elderly parents to tend the chickens. They just weren't in the shape to do it. I've been researching the breed, but is there any quick tips you can give me on them and their care. I don't want them to suffer while I play catch up. Here's a picture of a few in the box I took to get "bantam".

Funny, they look like nice birds. Low roosts are best but beyond that they are like any other chicken. Good food, clean water, and room to run. They keep their feet way cleaner than one would think. They go to bed muddy and icy and wake up white; its like magic!

Back
Top Bottom