Backyard Brahmas!!

I can only speak from my own perspective with my rooster, (I should post a new pic of him before I cave in and send him to the processor). at 24 weeks he looks ALL male, beautiful irridescent green tail feathers, 2x the size of his counterpart, red huge pea comb, crowing occassionally and mounting every girl that is too slow to get away from him. Also he has started to tidbit yesterday, it was awfully cute.

Handsome boy newmarch! Our Light Brahma pullet is 23 and a half weeks old and two days ago she was making a fuss in the coop, I checked on her and she was trying to share a nest box with two of the hens when there was an empty nest at the end of course. Our girls never share and were quite taken aback. The next morning I found a yolk on the droppings board, this morning a deflated membrane on the coop floor. I'm trying to encourage her to take the free choice calcium. Poor confused girl.

Look how big she is next to our Buff Orpington hen!

Thanks. Oh maybe there is an egg in my future soon too then. My girl counterpart to the roo is now 25 weeks but no sign of squatting yet.

Went out to check on my 21 week old buff girls this morning and they came running over to me as usual. However, the one in front came right up to me and immediately did an egg squat! It was adorable! I hope I get an egg soon! These are my first chickens. I'm so excited! Lol

For those of you who remember a little old lady who desperately wanted Buff Brahmas but ended up with rare and endangered "Buff Bald-footed Brahmas" instead, I am proud to announce that some of the replacement "For Really" Buff Brahmas are laying beautiful, tiny little pinkish colored eggs! Yippeeeee! <whew> Has this been a journey!
lau.gif

BLooie,

You certainly had an adventure getting them! I am glad they are laying now. My 4 are not yet laying or egg squatting so I am hanging in there. Honestly if mine never lay it will be ok with me lol. I have so many others that are laying there are more eggs now than I can use or sell. They are very gorgeous birds and I always enjoy your stories and pics of them.

Back
Top Bottom