Backyard Brahmas!!

One of my buff Brahma laid her first egg this morning!!! They are 22 weeks old today. However, it wasn't fully formed. It was a yolk in only half a shell. Is that normal for a first egg?

I find first eggs can range from normal but small to really strange or malformed. I'd give it a few days, if she doesn't start laying normally you might give her some oyster shell grit to help.

Yay! My husband got home and found a fully formed egg! It's so pretty! Now... Do you rinse your eggs or not?

Yay! My husband got home and found a fully formed egg! It's so pretty! Now... Do you rinse your eggs or not?

That's great! You should never rinse eggs until you are ready to use them. Rinsing them destroys the natural anti-bacterial coating and can actually cause you to get sick. If they are really messy, I lightly wipe them with a dry paper towel.

That's great! You should never rinse eggs until you are ready to use them. Rinsing them destroys the natural anti-bacterial coating and can actually cause you to get sick. If they are really messy, I lightly wipe them with a dry paper towel.

That's great info! Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom