Backyard Brahmas!!

We have a separate coop/run for the old ones. They deserve to not be bothered by the Roos. They don't roost, but they do go up in a dog house at night.

Just like my Old Hens' Retirement Home & Hospice. When their hock joints become arthritic, they sure don't need to be jumped by some overzealous rooster ten times a day. Now, though I have so many old hens, they are in two different pens in the barn. I have more oldsters than youngsters!

We call ours the nunnery. We also have a lot of oldsters. Two are unusual - Oreo, who is 9-ish years old, started crowing like a rooster when she went through henapause. Blackie, one of the two oldest at 10+, actually stills lays an occasional egg. She is, as we speak, broody and is a wonderful mom! Her sister, Bertha, hasn't laid in years.

Sparkle's view from the hospital crate
1f60a.png
Unfortunately I have a trio of chicks, so no buddy for her. The crate isn't big enough for all three and I don't want to leave one chick alone with the big girls. But, she's in my living room...so even though she doesn't have a chicken buddy, she is far from alone!
I think I will try giving her an Epsom salt bath. She seems to already be limping less with just one day of rest. Thank you all again!

I will be in the Orlando area in the next week. Anyone have brahmas. I need to add to my bloodlines.not interested in buff, dark or lights.

Sorry it took me awhile to get these posted, the mobile app doesn't like me. All these birds are from Cackle Hatchery. Not the best pics, none of my birds are tame.... just friendly. Love my big girls!

I don't have any Brahma roosters anymore, all of mine ended up being aggressive with my kids. I have EE's from cackle and those boys were all gentleman, must be luck of the draw!

Sorry it took me awhile to get these posted, the mobile app doesn't like me. All these birds are from Cackle Hatchery. Not the best pics, none of my birds are tame.... just friendly. Love my big girls! I don't have any Brahma roosters anymore, all of mine ended up being aggressive with my kids. I have EE's from cackle and those boys were all gentleman, must be luck of the draw!
Oh they're so lovely! Thank you so much for sharing!! I'm a little worried, I ordered a few Roos with my next shipment. I hope I have better luck with at least one of the three that I'm getting than I did my last gold sex link. That bird was the devil incarnate, I couldn't even feed them without him launching a full on attack.

Mine were never that bad, only if you chased the hens,but I have a very strict 3 strikes and you're gone rule. I have a few friends with scarred up backs from mean roosters so we only keep the peaceful ones. If it was just me I might be a little more tolerant.

One rule of keeping roosters is they should never be allowed around small children for one reason: kids of a certain young age are boistrous, loud, make jerky movements, etc. They make even the calmest rooster nervous. And a large rooster like a Brahma can really hurt a child. That doesn't necessarily mean he's "aggressive", but that he is being stressed by that child. A kid is a different thing than aggression for aggression's sake toward his keepers.

Older kids can be taught the way to act around a rooster, but a toddler may be the same height as a big rooster and all it takes is one well-placed flog to take out a child's eyes. That is not the rooster's fault. Even my superbly sweet and calm Delaware rooster was visibly nervous when a neighbor's young grandchildren were screaming and running across the road from us and he could not even see them. I would never allow a young child in with any of my roosters. You really must think of it like a stallion or a bull in smaller, more agile form. He has a job to do and he reacts to stress caused by a kid's loud, raucous noise and fast movements. And if a child chases a rooster, well, sorry, he's going to react and I seriously do not blame him! None of my LF roosters were in the least aggressive but small kids acting the way small kids do made them very on edge.

So word to the wise, keep young kids away from the roosters until they can learn how to act around one and be much taller than the rooster is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom