Backyard Brahmas!!

I love it! We have a 10 year old pit/lab mix. He is like their rooster, very protective and loves to get rewarded with chicken poop!
1f602.png

That's awesome! People used to be afraid of ours when I'd tell them her breed. They'd say,"aren't you afraid she'll bite your arm off being part pit bull?" And I would say "yea, but she's also part lab so she'll bring it right back". Now she's just old and fat and not nearly as imposing :)

Hello Brahma Folks!

I have a question. I have my first brahma, a buff, and I was wondering how I could tell besides comb if "she" is male or female. "She" is nine weeks old and is just starting to get a little red around the face. Are there feather colors at this age that would distinguish males from females?

Thanks!

My 4 light brahma chicks arrived. I ordered 3 pullets and a rooster. I think I can tell them apart already at almost almost 2 weeks old. 3 have darker down and well developed feathering. I am assuming they are pullets. One has lighter down and far less developed feathering. I am assuming he is the roo.

In this pic is one of the suspected pullets. Notice the development of wing feathers.

Here is a pic of the suspected roo. Notice the very small amount of wing feathering. I guess we will see!

Another pic of suspected pullet

My 4 light brahma chicks arrived. I ordered 3 pullets and a rooster. I think I can tell them apart already at almost almost 2 weeks old. 3 have darker down and well developed feathering. I am assuming they are pullets. One has lighter down and far less developed feathering. I am assuming he is the roo.

In this pic is one of the suspected pullets. Notice the development of wing feathers.

Here is a pic of the suspected roo. Notice the very small amount of wing feathering. I guess we will see!

Another pic of suspected pullet

Notice the stink eye look from the one that is possibly male? Memorize that look, they give it a lot. What are you doing? Why are you near my girls? Typical look into get, from 4 of em.

At almost three weeks old the rooster still looks like a giant fuzzy chick. No tail what so ever and very little wing development. All 15 of my other chicks can now flutter and glide a little. Not him. He just has to run to keep up, haha!

Meanwhile, the pullets are starting to get some white :)

Back
Top Bottom