Backyard chicken newbie!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by moonshadownc, Oct 9, 2015.

1. moonshadownc

moonshadownc New Egg

Oct 8, 2015
    I've just gotten my first chickens from a friend of mine. They are all laying hens of different varieties. Don't know much about breeds etc. but I've been doing a lot of googling trying to find out good info for taking the best care of them. We got them 3 days ago and they seem to be doing fine. I intend on letting them free range but I've been currently keeping them in their coop as I read that doing so will allow them to know where it is and to go back in more easily at the end of the day when they do finally venture out. So far it seems as though only 5 of them are laying (stress from the move?) any suggestions for making them happier and more adjusted as well as any tips for this newbie?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. moonshadownc

moonshadownc New Egg

Oct 8, 2015
    Unfortunately I do not really have a way of penning them. However our yard isn't huge so they can't go too far. It's about a 1/4 acre so hopefully they will be able to gain their bearings pretty easily. I also read that a light will help. I purchased one and plan on using it to help them see where to go when it is dusk. Also, would it be a better idea to let them free range for only part of the day at first? Or does it matter?
    Thank you for the info!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Welcome! [​IMG]

CC gave you some great thoughts, and sites to go to. I personally think the light is a great idea for them to find their way back to the coop. I think they will do well after 4 or 5 days as to knowing where to go for what.

Free Range? I also let mine free range in my back yard. All day during the warm months. I am starting to lock them in the run overnight, and letting them out just a while after they get up, I want them to get used to being in the run and not being let out right away. Want them to be used to it for the coming snow. At least, we hope we get a lot of snow this yr.!

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Free ranging has it's benefits for sure and we do it with our flock when we can be there to supervise. But it's not without it's dangers from predators so be aware of the ones in your area and provide your chickens with places they can duck into, under or hide in when they feel threatened. Here's some good information on common chicken predators and how to best protect your birds:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

Good luck to you and thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  7. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

8. steven29128

steven29128 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    South Carolina USA
    Welcome to Back Yard Chickens ! [​IMG]

9. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. Free ranging isn't for everyone. You have to be prepared to tolerate some losses to predators when free ranging. Somehow preds seem to target the favorite birds first. Predators can even be the neighbor dogs that are allowed to run loose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by