Backyard crossing

bustedchicks

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 5, 2014
Did good in biology but not so good with genetics.

I have a variety of birds picked up beginning of march. Brabanters, Norwegian jaerhon, black sex links, barnvelders and a couple more. Picked up a laying hen RIR about 2 weeks ago and now a rescued rooster a bronze sex link now named Foghorn leghorn (so original). He is classic white.

Not trying to create a new breed just expand my flock for layers and possibly replenish the blackSL's when they hit the freezer.

Reading raising chickens (daemrow) and she says male traits go to female and female to male. Also read that somewhere here. So if I am understanding this correctly then my full bodied white bronze sex link rooster fertilize s the full bodied red RIR any hatchlings will be white female and red male?
After a year or 2 will my flock be monochrome?

Reading raising chickens (daemrow) and she says male traits go to female and female to male. Also read that somewhere here. So if I am understanding this correctly then my full bodied white bronze sex link rooster fertilize s the full bodied red RIR any hatchlings will be white female and red male?
After a year or 2 will my flock be monochrome?
This is true of sex linked characteristics. But, more things aren't sex linked than are!

Your sex link rooster over your red hens is going to give a mix of red and white birds (usually...the sex links can always be hiding funky colors in their make-up) of both genders. Not sexable by color at all.

If you're interested in breeding sex links, there's a very good thread by tadkerson. He's got a great chart on the first page showing various recipes for sex links.

Back
Top Bottom