Backyard eggs vs. store bought eggs

galaxyflyer1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
Corona Ca.
Hello all.

I was not sure as to where to post this question, so I will try here.

We have had our own hens and eggs now for almost 2 years.

Besides freshness and chicken feed quality, is there any difference between commercial and backyard eggs?
My wife has recently taken on a negative reaction to eggs. A few hours after eating eggs, she gets cramps. We have verified that it is eggs. She was willing to experiment several times to prove this. I seem to be OK with eating them. However we have not tried store eggs yet to see if she gets sick on those.

I only have 4 hens. I keep things clean. They look and act well. They slightly free range and I feed them laying pellets. Treats are a little chicken scratch. bread, lettuce etc.

Thanks,
Bob

idunno.gif
But I hate that she can't eat them without pain. Very strange. I hope you find an answer soon.

If that were someone in my family, I would try them on organic layer pellets and see if it made a difference. My son is allergic to SOME conventional soy but not organic.

I think he is allergic to GMO soy. He gets a terrible rash.

I know that my opinion might not please some folks, but that is what *I* would do.

Store bought eggs give me a stomachache sometimes. But not my girls' eggs.

Well, I know that the feed quality (bugs, good nutrition, etc.) makes the eggs better for most people... maybe whatever is good for the majority of folks isn't aggreeing with her.
sad.png
I'm guessing she is allergic to something in your feed though, so I'd start playing around with that. If you put out oyster shell, she could be allergic to shellfish or something (and you could substitute something else easily). Hope you figure it out!

That is sad. She is probably allergic to them, many people are and some don't know and you can develop an allergy to anything at any time. For a long time I couldn't eat certain fruits bananas, cantaloupe and watermelon. After a few years of allergy shots I can eat them with no problem plus no hay fever at all now
smile.png

Yep, I'd pin the reaction on your feed. A lot of commercial layer feed that most people buy has a LOT of weird chemicals in it. Also, let's not forget that almost all chicken feed has GMO Corn and Soy.

Back
Top Bottom