Backyard Flock

jwalker1981

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2015
Florida
Hi all, thanks for any tips, tricks, etc... New chicken owner I've got a small flock of 6. Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Sicilian Buttercup, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red & Black Australorp. They are almost 2 months now and doing great in our backyard.

Welcome to BYC,
You've come to the right place.
If you have any specific questions be sure to ask because that is what BYC is all about.
Since you are new here be sure to check out the learning center, They have loads of information that I am sure you'll enjoy.
Good Luck!
And...
welcome-byc.gif

I hate to think that but I am starting to realize that the Barred Rock isn't a hen and perhaps a Cockerel and I won't be able to keep him if that's the case...:(

Last edited:
I hate to think that but I am starting to realize that the Barred Rock isn't a hen and perhaps a Cockerel and I won't be able to keep him if that's the case...
sad.png

Aw, sorry. He has such a big comb and thick legs he looks like a cockerel. Hope he is just a really early developing pullet.
fl.gif

Perhaps I'll try a no crow collar.... He's a really pretty bird and it would be nice to have a rooster to safeguard the hens. Can you still eat fertilized eggs?

Fertilized eggs are fine to eat. Roosters are good at letting hens know there is danger present, but, very few of them actually "protect" the hen from any serious danger. And roosters that actually do stand up to any true danger usually sacrafice themselves.

But, my real reason for posting is to warn you that there are at least two members of this site have reported that their roosters died while they tried keeping them quiet with a no crow collar. I thought you might like to know......

Yup you can eat them, nothing even starts developing in them unless they are over 90 degrees for over 24 hours (maybe 36 actually, I forget)
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a beautiful flock. Thanks for posting the pic. :eek:) X2 on enola and Lozuufy; enjoy eating those eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom