Backyard Foraging Options

Blue.......there are lots of options as far as easy protable fence that could be moved in a matter of minutes or a tractor can be moved in 45 seconds.....Just saying because it seems like you want to minimize your workload, which def. makes sense. I imagine that both of these options would be easier and likely healthier than a static coop you throw weeds/greens or grow greens for. Picking and tossing weeds will take as long if not longer than moving a tractor, and a fence might only be moved once every 7 days or so. One other thing to remember is protein is a huge part of a chickens diet. A movable pen/coop/fence etc will provide them with bugs and worms to munch on. A static coop will have relatively little bug life in comparison. Just my 2

I guess it depends partly on how much you garden. I seldom cut greens FOR the chickens -- I just chuck them whatever I produce naturally every day or two (whcih tends to include plenty of bug life btw
tongue.png
). Making sure to sort the (very few) potentially-poisonous things into a separate bucket to go directly to the compost not to the chickens. I do not think the "health" thing is simple "this good, that bad", because while a fixed run can build up a greater parasite-egg population under some circumstances, OTOH when you tractor or free range they have far, far more exposure to wild birds' mites and diseases. So it's a tradeoff.

As far as stink? IMHO by far the biggest factor is number of birds per size of area. You just can't really get around that too much. So if you are concerned, I would suggest having the largest possible run, with the fewest possible number of birds (i.e. the fewest you can bear to pare down to).

And yes, a lot of people in the PNW find a thick layer of sand to be very helpful. (Also making real sure that the area in question is as well-drained as possible before you put the sand down, so that all you're dealing with is rain not actual pooling of water)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Ok, so now I'm back to my original plan of building the run next to the coop, possibly put sand in it (once they eat all the green that is already there, possibly put a roof over it - though I don't really want to put a roof over it - this is supposed to be their outdoor run. AND a tractor. And just switch things up for them. Some time in their run, some time in the tractor. Best of both worlds. And maybe I'll let them have some free run time in the fall to clean up my garden.

And deal with the stink if it happens - I have 4 chickens, so it's not going to be terrible... unless I don't clean (or unless it gets wet!?!) To clean the run... I guess I'll just rake the sand daily? Cat litter poop scoop it? I'm going to have to raise my son's allowance and make him share this job with me...

Thanks for helping me think this all through, everyone.

Mine LOVE the dandelions. I haven't seen them eat any of the buttercups yet.
sad.png
If they liked those I'd be all set. I heard from one source that the buttercups were toxic to them, then someone else said they weren't. I wish I could find a simple list of common weeds that they shouldn't eat. There is a link somewhere on this site to a "toxic plant list", but honestly, when I looked at it it was less than helpful. Not only was it soooo long, and full of the botanical name rather than common, but in each description it seemed like everything was toxic. I gave up on it.
hmm.png

unless confined with no other options I doubt too many animals would choose to eat things toxic to them.

We have 14 hens and 1 rooster. We let them out in a fenced yard with shrubs and plants all around planted near the fence.

This is our first year and we have NOT neededto cut the grass since they arrived. There is enough area and we do NOT have a poop mess. We have a pooper scooper and do clean
when necessary...not often.

No problem for us. Our breed is Silkie.

Back
Top Bottom