Bad Attack! w/pictures PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gelo75, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Gelo75

Gelo75 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2013
    California
    In the morning, I went to check on my quail and found my quail girl badly injured. I took it in and my mom sprayed on antibiotic. The quail seems to be blind as a result of the attack (attacker unknown) and when she breathes, it seems like she has a snotty nose. She travels from corner to corner, and she cant open her mouth and cant eat. CAN I SAVE HER?! IS THERE ANY CHANCE SHE WILL LIVE?! I will get more pics if needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio

Pictures didn't come threw but have you tried to open her mouth for any injuries or around it?

Is she blind In both eyes or are they just swelled from the attack?

You may have to tube feed her, can she drink at all perhaps put her in a liquid diet until she's able to eat normally again.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Pictures didn't come threw so I can't see what the injuries are, I take it this thing got her on the head. Is her head opened, where exactly are the injuries..

4. Gelo75

May 1, 2013
    California
    Im not sure. Now that I think about it, the eyes might be swollen. here is another try for a picture.
    [​IMG]

5. Gelo75

May 1, 2013
    California
    My mom really thinks its trachea is broken or something.

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Wow I bet she's not blind just swelled really bad, I would get some blue kote, works really good for injuries like that, you main issue is going to be an infection, have some antibiotics to give orally. Tylan works pretty good or some water soluble antibiotics like oxyline, I think I spelt that right. Let me check..

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Oxytetracycline

I would keep her in a dark room she could be traumatized right now and that's why she's doing the traveling thing..keep her calm, as calm as you can get her. What do you have on it now looks like something wet maybe vasoline or something? I would keep it as dry as you can. Doesn't look like it's bleeding so that's good..

See how she is in the next 24 hours, she may be able to do more things like eat or drink. You may have to put the food right by her beak and maybe she's go to town, I would soak the food get it soft if she eats it at least she's getting food and some water at the same time..

8. Gelo75

May 1, 2013
    California
    Thanks but she died yesterday.[​IMG] Thanks for your time to read and help.[​IMG]

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Sorry to hear that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by