Bad bad bad owner. : (

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bathsheba8542, May 31, 2010.

1. bathsheba8542

bathsheba8542 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Glenelg
    I have two hens on nests...both have about 12 eggs. It seems they've been on them for weeks and weeks ... probably longer than 21 days so I've been concerned either they aren't fertilized or they aren't developing correctly. This is our first time letting the hens sit on eggs. I took an egg out today to try to candle it for the first time and I accidentally cracked the shell. There was a broken egg in the box a week ago...it reeked to high heaven, and I thought this one would crack wide open if I put it back in the nest box. So. I cracked it all the way open, fully expecting to see nothing. There was a baby chick, almost ready to hatch. I cried and cried. Can't believe I killed our first chick.

2. Chickycat

Chickycat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Bristow, Indiana
    Aww, I am so sorry to hear this. Sounds like the shells may be too thin if they crack so easy. Maybe your hens need some calcium.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    At least you have hope for the remaining eggs.

BUT!, Sometimes when a rotten egg breaks under a hen, the other eggs get contaminated and die.

So you may still have hope if you found a live one.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    cheer up! what you were doing is testing to make sure the hen would not be setting too long in this heat...you are a good mama...don't fret!

5. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Awww. [​IMG] Don't worry, I've read about mama hens killing their babies on purpose...you regret accidentally killing one. That makes you a caring mama/dada. Anyways, now the rest can hatch healthy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by