Bad bad rat problem! Please help!

Quote:
I can't speak for the stuff personally, because I only have the occasional mouse pass through, and this bothers me not in the least, but a friend uses a product called Mouse Magic (natural nontoxic repellent, googles easily) and hasn't had mice since (this one test case is not enough for me to say unequivocally that it works but hopefully it does). I'll likely get it sometime in the next couple of months, just to use as a preventative measure.
JJ

Quote:
Yes, MissPrissy That is the only way to kill rats. Unless you want the kids to have some target pratice. I mix cement and oatmeal dry and in just a few weeks, no more rats. If you have a great number of them, the smell can be unbearable on a hot summer day.
th.gif

I don't like the idea of poison either but in some situations it's the only way to really control a rat population explosion. You can buy rat/mouse poison that is not supposed to cause secondary poisoning in an animal that eats the rodents. I buy some called "Wipe-out". It will say on the package if it doesn't cause secondary poisoning.

With the plaster of paris and sugar about how long does it take to kill them???? I am doing this tomorrow.........I have lot's of rat's and mice in the barn......I HATE THEM!!!!! Also, I am scared of them!
ep.gif

They are definitely more scared of you than you are of them. There are reasons to want them gone but there is no reason to hate them or to be scared. When I've caught them in hav-a-hart traps they are terrified, sometimes covering their eyes in utter fear of me. I once caught a young rat in a hav-a-hart and when I found it in the trap in the morning, it was sleeping in there in a perfect straw nest. It's parents had to have spent the night handing straw through to him so he wouldn't be cold and uncomfortable in the metal trap. When we learn more about an animal we find that are not that different. It's still okay to decide we don't want them living with us in our coops or our homes, but hate - no need to hate.
JJ

JJ, have you ever met head on with a rat the size of a small cat?

It might take a day or two for them to die, tnkin, but the effects begin to happen quickly. The sugar and kibble attracts them. The plaster of paris is what does the job. The plaster absorbs water, therefore it draws fluids from the rodent internally, sets up and begins to solidify in the first hour or two. It also swells making an internal cast of the varmit, so to speak. I don't want to get too graphic but I think you get the idea that it makes a rock rat.

It works.

Quote:
Yes, indeedy, when we tore out the insulation of the affected coop in order to install fresh insulation and hardware cloth on the floor and up the walls some inches (to rat proof). Our pulses quickened rapidly at the unbelievable size of him! (until then I hadn't realized I was only catching youngsters!). But I didn't HATE him in the least. Just wanted him out of there.
JJ

hahahaha!

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I cannot abide rats or mice!

I have met a city rat not afraid of humans in the least as big as a cat! They can and will attack.

I do hate rats and mice. They can and do carry diseases and parasites. Once infested they are very hard to get rid of. When you see one there are hundreds you don't see. Rats cause alot of disease and loss for farmers especially if they get in the grain bins. Think about the results of the hantavirus. I am sorry but I am not one who can see a frightened little animal all innocent and furry.

Don't read any further if you have a weak stomach -

graphic story below -

There are places in this world where you have to sleep with every body part covered or rats will eat your flesh in the night. Disgusting but true!

I don't know your age but are you old enough to remember the story years ago where a house/building in NYC was infested and the rats ate newborn baby in the night and killed it? The parents were charged with a ritual killing and abuse until a pathologist came back with teeth marks from a rat?

Nasty but true.

d.k :

*are you sure your cats are rat-killers??? A whole lot of cats will NOT mess with full-grown rats-- tho they may take out young ones. . .

Miniature Schnauzer will riip their hearts out! (at least mine will :eek: ). I swear the small terrer breeds aRE RUTHLESS. As far as cats. I agree, they don;t always want to tangle with a big rat, but if they start getting the babes, you thin the herd. I would lock them in the barn for sure at night. My big orange cat lives for the HUNT!
wink.png

Last edited:
p.s. Be selective with any poisons and how you attrack the rats with them. Most pest will eat the bait. I'm sure you know this, but wanted to add.

Back
Top Bottom