bad bloody pecking

islandgirl

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
how to stop aggressive pecking? pecking at vent while other chicken laying, have identified the aggressive pecker, how to stop her, she just walks around and pecks other birds,
then eats eggs also, is space per bird an issue? we are at about 4 square feet of area per bird....

I believe its 10 square feet per bird....but don't have my book handy. I would isolate the pecker for awhile and let everyone else recover. Sometimes when reintroduced, the other girls won't let her do it again

You could trim her upper beak, or there is a product called pinless peepers that helps with agressive pecking hens. They wear them and these things look like silly sunglasses, but they do work. They actually sort of snap on through the nasal holes. They don't hurt.

I personally would get rid of a super agressive pecker......had that problem last winter with a really mean New Hampshire Red, and I gave her away. She had pecked a bald spot on the backs of all my hens, just above the tail. Terrorized the whole coop! I don't miss her one bit.

You can try separating her from the others and reintroducing her to be back on the bottom of the 'pecking order' so to speak

You can try trimming her beak so the ends are flat, instead of pointy and sharp. We have done this with just a pair of human toenail clippers.

But really... unless this is a bird you really need to keep (rare or breeding or a favorite) I would say it's time to have mean chicken for dinner.

thanks all, for the good advice! am isolating worst damaged birds and keeping eye on others, also working to expand chicken area, may be clipping beaks soon!

Back
Top Bottom