Bad day but we have meat in our freezer

DottieMarie

Songster
11 Years
May 6, 2008
South East MI
Well, today was processing day and our first time to boot. We didn't do the deed ourselves, we took our birds in to a poulty processor. It was a lot harder than I expected, I hated it. Of course, from the day you get the birds you know their fate and choose to go down this road. I told myself I wasn't going to get close to the birds; I'd feed, water and take them outside and that was it. And that was it but those darn birds come to really trust you and that's the part I never expected or counted on.
So I feel I betrayed them; I'm sure that sounds stupid but that's how I feel. I'm glad to have the meat and we will enjoy it and make the most of it.
But this morning was the worse, knowing what lays ahead of them and thinking of them being stressed out as soon as you load them up and who knows what else once they were dropped off.
Tough day!

Thanks for letting me get this out.

hugs.gif

I'm sorry you are feeling like that. I have felt the same feeling last fall as we were packing up our pigs to take to the slaughter house. I had all the same feelings as you are having and still remember it like it was yesterday. I am such an animal lover too. Just remember that you are going to have better meat than what you can buy at the grocery store and it is way healthier for your family knowing what you put into it. That's what I have to tell myself.
I hope you are feeling better soon.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and words. I keep telling myself that every animal we eat meat from goes through the same thing but we don't think about it because we're not seeing it. I'll never give up eating meat but I'll be more thankful to the animals and definately less wasteful.

My eyes are getting puffy...

Just want to say that I understand. I felt the same way the my first time. What surprised me was that the next spring I found myself wanting to "do it right" and get cornish crosses. And I did! And I felt very humble and sad while doing the deed, but I have found my peace with it. The looks on my children's faces as they dig in to a meal of homegrown chicken makes it all worth it. Anyway, I hear you and I hope as time goes by you feel better
hugs.gif

Just know that you gave them the best life possible and you raising them yourself mean that they would not have to go through the pain and suffering them might have indered if they were raised in commercial houses.

(sp) lol

i guess im just glad for the way i was raised i never got into the issue it was meat on one side pets on the other and that was that i guess u just learn to ignore it or something but im still sorry for ur huirt feeling i think once u have eaten a few of them yummy fowl ull feel better

thanks for posting this. We eat meat from the store and I just got some layer chicks to raise but was thinking about meat birds. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to process them and then feeling like a hypocrite. I really would like the healthy meat for my kids but I just don't know that I can do it. I'm seriously considering going vegitarian (except for unfertilized eggs).

I told my mom I wanted to be a vegitarian when I was still in Kindergarten because our teacher showed us a film about 'where meat comes from' complete with slaughter house pictures. I don't know if she was an overzealous teacher or a vegitarian herself.
roll.png

I applaud you being able to do it, I think my issues are just a cry for therapy from childhood trama
lol.png

Enjoy your healthy meat!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom